Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

It's Mum Season!

Mums are one of my favorite signs of Fall. They come in so many different colors and are one of the most effective ways to make your front door, porch, walkway or window baskets really pop at this time of year.

Mums

What are some of your favorite signs of Fall?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-10-11T23:37:23+0000  by homedepotsarah homedepotsarah

We bought 8 baskets from the Atlanta Midtown store (on Ponce) last weekend. They look great on the front and back porches.

Posted 2010-10-12T00:33:11+0000  by hallawton

I LOVE mums!  Thanks for reminding me.  I better hit the HD later today to buy seveal for my front porch!

~Allison @ House of Hepworths
Posted 2010-10-12T13:45:03+0000  by houseofheps

Happy Harvest!

Mums are the welcome sign of the autumn. Once you go to Home Depot and pick up your mums, don’t just place them on your doorstep, add them to your window boxes, make a container garden, and add them to your garden landscape. 

Tucking a series of planted mums into you landscape adds seasonal color where there was none. Planted correctly hardy mums have a great possibility of returning next year. The key to a successful return is to give your mums a good start. Dig a generous hole, tease or pull apart the root system, back fill the hole a bit then add your mum. Place the mum so that the soil line of the mum is the same as the landscape, fill in around the mum with the existing soil, pack soil down lightly but firmly then water well.

Mums do require a bit of maintenance, but for the small dollar investment, and a little bit of time, the pay back is enormous! Once your mum is past bloom, late in the season, cut it back to about 6inches and mulch over it. In the spring you will see your mum breaking through the ground around, or about the end of May. On the week of 4th of July, cut back your mum. Take about one third top growth off. That will prevent your mum from blooming too early and flopping over.

Add mums to an autumn container garden. Great seasonal combinations are; flowering cabbage and kale, winter pansies, millet, corn stalks and add a small pumpkin or gourds. One of my favorite add in to a seasonal pot is fresh cut “autumn joy” sedum. The sedum will actually root from cuttings and return in the spring. Enjoy the season, be creative and welcome fall to your home!

containergardenmums.jpg

Posted 2011-10-18T16:37:05+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+