Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Answered

I've got a lot of weed growth in my Unilock patio. What's the best way to prevent weeds without chemicals?

My grass is being damaged every time I spray my patio and driveway with chemicals.  I'd like to know the best way to prevent weed growth in a brick paved driveway.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-24T15:32:52+0000  by josephbartkus josephbartkus

Hi Joseph.

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

When you spray a weed killing chemical, you have to remember that you are only killing the live plant and the excess can run off onto undesired areas as you have found out. The reason the weeds come back are the weed seeds that are left behind or are blown in or brought in. 

The only sure fire way of controlling the weed seeds is with the use of a pre-emergence.  Bayer’s DuraZone and Roundup’s Extended Control, both are non-selective herbicides that contain a pre-emergence for this type of application.  It is not necessary to completely saturate your patio with a herbicide to keep the weeds at bay.

Once the areas with the weeds has been sprayed and the weed areas cleaned up, the pre-emergence will be effective  for up to 6 months with Bayer’s DuraZone and for up to 4 months with Roundups’ Extended Control.

Another option is to pull the weeds manually and apply a granular pre-emergence such as Preen. This product does not kill any weeds but it will prevent the weed seeds from germinating for up to 3 months.  Preen is applied in is granular form and then it is swept into the crevices of your patio.  When it rains, no plants will be harmed when using the pre-emergence Preen.

Having a non-grass border between your lawn and the patio pavers will also help to prevent damage to your grass and other plants in the event of runoff during the rain.  This non-grass area can act as a buffer zone and reduce the harmfull side effect of the herbicide that you applied to your pavers.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Rick_HD_OC

Best Answer

Posted 2015-07-24T18:33:38+0000  by Rick_HD_OC
Hello josephbartkus.

There are 2 hard parts to your question.

First is PREVENT weeds without chemicals.
One way to reduce weed growth in a paver patio would be to use polymeric sand in the gaps between pavers.  If your patio and driveway could use extra sand in the gaps, then this would be well worth the extra $$$ over just using plain sand.  Polymeric sand hardens once you water it in, making weed growth much tougher.  You can find it here:  Polymeric Sand

I know of no other way to prevent weeds in your pavers without chemicals.  I will say that using organic pre-emergents containing corn gluten meal is fairly benign as chemicals go.

There are also a few ways to kill the weeds that pop up without using chemicals.  This is obviously different from prevention, but gives you a couple of options.

First off would be to pour boiling water on the weeds.  This will kill them, and no harm should come to the lawn nearby.  You may need a lot of boiling water to do the whole area, so I'm not sure how practical this really is.

Another possible solution would be to use a long handled torch like this Inferno:

You can find it here:  Inferno

This tool is handy for burning brush, weeds, melting ice and snow, among other things.  It will kill the weeds in the paver gaps as well as any seeds wedged in there.

Chris.

Posted 2015-07-24T19:00:38+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+