Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

I've installed self-stick tile on several occasions over a plywood sub-floor treated with a pre-tile

Sould self-stick tile be heated before or after installation with a heat gun or iron? I've always installed it at room temp. and never had a problem.  I've actually been told not to heat the tile but an owner i'm working for deems it mandatory.  Any advise?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-14T02:38:41+0000  by Pdaddy69 Pdaddy69

Hello Pdaddy69 and thank you for joining The Community.  We are glad that you are here.

The tile should be stored at room temperature of at least 65˚ F for 48 hours before installation. Be sure the subfloor is at least 60˚ during installation.  The installation instructions recommend an application of professional primer when installing over plywood subfloor. There is no mention of using a heat gun or iron on the peel-and-stick tiles and the higher heat may affect the adhesive (depending upon the manufacturer). 

If you are installing the resilient vinyl planks or tiles with the overlapping GripStrip, any individual seams or edges that release from the next one can many times be reset with heat.   First, apply warm air from a hair dryer or paint gun for 30 to 60 seconds at a distance of 8 inches then roll the edges with a hand roller or maintaining pressure until re-adhered.

Best wishes on your installation project.

Posted 2014-01-14T14:32:23+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+