Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Answered

Keeping cabinet against the wall during instillation

How do I keep the upper cabinet against the wall while I screw them in. As soon as I hit the studs the cabinet comes out from the wall and off the 1x2 ledge. I have it propped on a board with car jacks underneath at the same level as the 1x2. I pre drilled pilot holes through the cabinets and am using 2 1/2 " cabinet screws. Does it take a lot of strength or am I doing something wrong? 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-27T21:31:03+0000  by mattsmom mattsmom

Thank you both.

I got the cabinet up. I decided to add a piece to the back of the cabinet so I could put the screws in nice and straight. Those went in much better than the screws above and below, where the cabinet manufacturer gives you only an inch of space. I will do the same for all the cabinets for added strength.

I like the picture of the fancy cabinet screws and will get a couple for my glass door cabinet. The cabinet screws from ace hardware are fine, but my cabinets are white and I would prefer white for that cabinet. 

I am a middle age woman working by myself to fix a 70 year old "contractor's special" house. Your help was esential and gave me the confidence I needed.

Thank you again.

Posted 2013-12-31T23:03:09+0000  by mattsmom

There's a fair argument to be made that the unions have been impetus behind the continued of use conduit in Chicago.  The reason is pretty simple, while the material costs are roughly the same, labor costs for using conduit is about three times hour.  If you're running a union do you want to employ 1 electrician or 3?

Some of the suburbs now allow NM-B and amazingly Joliet hasn't burned down. :smileywink:

Posted 2014-01-01T01:42:45+0000  by Adam444

Adam,

I am not sure of the origins of cnduit only codes in chicago. Perhaps it is hypersensitivity to fire after The Gret Chciago Fire, just like the "masonry only" codes that ruled for over 100 years after The Fire. Conduit certainly was a quantum leap in safety over old knob and tube. Conduit does have some advantages, such as being able to pull new wires without breaking into the wall.

I see nothing wrong with Romex if qualified people install it. However, if an incompetent DYI'er puts too low a gauge wire and fuses it too heavily, it is possible to have a red hot wire inside a combustible wall. Or chance of electrical shock if  a person doesn't install the metal plates on the studs where the wires pass through.

I have Romex type cable here in my house in Portland, as does all of Oregon, and I don't feel unsafe. Oregon does have otherwise some stringent codes, especially energy codes.

Posted 2014-01-01T05:31:30+0000  by ordjen

It's pretty hard to keep a determined idiot from killing himself.  :smileyfrustrated:  I've seen a green wire used as a hot in conduit so many times that any more I assume it to be hot.

Certainly conduit can make it much, much easier to rewire or add a circuit.  

Around here plenty of stores sell NM-B and even plastic junction boxes, even if they don't meet local code.  Plenty of people buy and use the stuff too.   

Posted 2014-01-03T16:41:33+0000  by Adam444
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+