Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Kitchen

Removing kitchen countertops for new granite install

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-26T18:46:44+0000  by jwbuck192002 jwbuck192002

Hi Jwbuck192002,

The process depends upon the type of countertops installed now.

If it’s Formica, the processes is relatively simple, unscrew it from the cabinets, remove and clamps holding the sections together, and remove one section at a time.

Some larger sections may have to be cut to extricate them from the kitchen.

Ceramic tile will require considerably more work, the tile will have to be chiseled off the counter top and the cement board or plywood below removed.

Usually the installers will install new plywood underlayment for the new granite top.

Disposing of the old top material can be a problem if you remove it yourself.

For most homeowners, the best approach is to have the old tops removed by the contractor who is installing the new top.

This way one company does all of the work, simplifying the process and minimizing the potential problems.

Mike,

Posted 2013-09-26T19:07:35+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Don't have HD do your job. They installed my kitchen and screwed up on every phase of the install. From measuring the walls (both walls) incorrectly and had to reorder the cabinets, to selling me granite I could pick out but instead was sent pictures of the slabs that caused a 4 week delay, to telling my tile was ready when they were out of stock, to not cleaning up the cabinet install dust and shavings and telling me it is not in the contract. It just goes on and on and on. They tell me they are going to call me but don't, they tell me they will do something but don't. I have one word for you. Don't.
Posted 2013-11-04T22:56:59+0000  by neighbordave

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+