Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Kitchen Cabinets

The kitchen in the house I bought is the same one from when the house was built in the 1900's!!!  We can not afford to gut it and re do it right now but it is something I want to do in the next couple years so...Im looking to freshen up the cabinets.  The previous owner painted them a cream color...it looks like a flat paint. There is some wear and tear on the cabinets so I would like to make them darker.  I want the frames black and the cabinets doors/drawer a cherry or walnut color...with a textured look. 

Anyway, I have no idea where to start...like I said I am on a budget and am doing this on my own. Do I need to sand the old paint of??..please please please say no......:smileyindifferent:

what kind of paint and tools and things do I need for such a project?

Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-19T19:59:02+0000  by Jenhangan Jenhangan

Hey Craig!

SpongeBobsMom appears to be offline at this time.

Thanks for reposting her DIY example for readers on The Apron Blog ... her handiwork is both outstanding and inspiring!

I thought I might help in the interim ... although photos can be misleading, her cabinets appear to be either Chocolate or Espresso.

When referencing their Cabinet Transformations Kit, Rust-Oleum says, "The Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations 9-Piece Dark Color Kit is a 4-step application that will give your outdated cabinets a beautiful makeover. No stripping, sanding or priming is necessary. The dark tint base provides 24 color choices for a custom look and the decorative glaze will make your cabinets shine. The kit covers up to 100 sq. ft. The durable acrylic and latex base features strong adhesion and easy cleanup with soap and water."

A similar number of colors exists in their "Light Color Kit."

Colors are displayed on the top of the product box.

Posted 2012-08-28T13:36:26+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I was afraid SpongeBobsMom wouldn't see my question. My next step was going to be to see if the Home Depot paint department experts would make a guess as to the colors... and there you are, right on cue!

Thanks, PatinPaint!

-Craig, from the Apron blog.

Posted 2012-08-28T13:42:13+0000  by HomeDepotCraig
What an inspiring thread ... between SpongeBobsMom, jenhangan, and Craig facilitating what more needs be said?

Well, maybe just one more idea.

Anytime you're looking for a durable finish, don't overlook the oil-based finishes.

In another thread, Cabinet Refinishing Doesn't Have To Be That Difficult, we discuss using these long-lasting, durable coating.
Posted 2014-07-08T18:31:49+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
If you like Cabinet Refinishing,
you might also like:

Posted 2015-12-03T17:07:24+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+