Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Kitchen Cabinets Stain

Hello,
I have the attached Kitchen Cabinets for about 7 years and it looks like the top coating is starting to peel off.
I am not sure if the coating is clear Polyurethane or lacquer or anythuing else.
Can you pelase let me know how can I fix the peeling.

Thanks,

Mo
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-05-29T19:10:01+0000  by Palmachnick Palmachnick

Pictures of the cabinets
Posted 2018-05-29T19:11:52+0000  by Palmachnick
Hi Palmachnick,

The area appears to be simply normal wear and tear since it is around the knobs where the doors are grasped to open them. This can be easily repaired.

Remove the knobs, lightly sand the effected areas with 220 grit sand paper, making sure you feather the edges into the good remaining finish. Mask off the door leaving 2-3 inch of the good finish exposed, this will allow the blending of the new finish into the existing finish. Make sure you have the correct sheen, satin is the most common sheen used on kitchen cabinets.

Using spray polyurethane apply several very light coats of finish to the areas, making sure you blend the new finish into the old. If the new finish appears to shiny or uneven, use 0000 grade steel wool to smooth if out. Then apply a very very light final coast as necessary.

When you're finished, apply a coat of Rejuvinate Cabinet Refinisher to dress up the doors, this product will make your cabinets look like new.

Mike

Posted 2018-05-31T20:07:27+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+