Sign In to join the community | Help

Kitchen Island

We have a wall in our kitchen we would like to knock down and make a kitchen island with laminate counters, how would I go about doing that, do you have any idea of an estimate of how much it typically cost? Thank you

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-08T16:00:53+0000  by Shannon_Riv Shannon_Riv

Hello Shannon_Riv.

I see you are interested in opening up your kitchen.  


 To estimate removing a wall and adding an island depends on how complicated the job will be.  Before you start demolition, a major considerations is whether that wall you want to remove is a barring wall or not.  If so the structure above needs to be supported and that would require some engineering, adding a beam or header. You also must determine what is hidden behind the plaster or drywall. You could have electrical wires heating ducts, steam pipes, plumbing drains or water lines, support columns, ECT, inside the wall.  Many of these obstacle can be easily relocated, others more difficult.


 If you have access above or below the wall, like an attic or basement, you may get a better idea what you will be dealing with.  You may want to contact a remodeling contractor or local builder because they often have an idea how homes in your area were constructed, even if you plan on doing much of the work yourself.


If your house was built before 1967 there is a good chance that the walls were painted with lead based paint.  There are measures you take to deal with this dust but it is an added cost.


 Once the above questions are answered, the Associates at the Contractors Desk at your local Home Depot will be happy to compile a quote, with the best prices possible for all the materials necessary for both demolition and construction.  And the Kitchen Design Specialist can help create your dream kitchen island.


Without more information I cannot be more specific about your project.  I would love to hear more about your projects progress.




I am a Home Depot Associate trained and authorized to help people on the internet.

Posted 2014-01-10T19:14:12+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question