Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Kitchen cabinet repair

My Kitchen cabinets are pulling away from the wall, is there a way to repair this without cabinet refacing,  I am looking for a fix because can't afford cabinet refacing right now.  Please help.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-10-06T16:42:05+0000  by jazzbrown jazzbrown

Cabinet refacing is not solution for it because refacing is only improve the structure of your cabinet. you can repair your cabinet by removing and repair its damage portion and add new component on damage portion. you can take help from carpainter.

Posted 2011-10-13T06:38:39+0000  by jennifer20

Hi Jazzbrown, this is Mike The Home Depot Answer Man

Cabinet refacing will not solve the problem you have. Refacing only improves the appearance of the cabinets not their structural integrity.

Cabinets pull away from the wall because they have been overloaded, or were improperly installed to begin with.

Often cabinets especially in older homes were nailed to the wall studs rather than attached with screws. Over time the weight of the contents causes the cabinets to pull away from the wall.

To repair your cabinets you will need to remove all of the contents, dishes glasses etc. Take a good look at the cabinets to see exactly where the problem lies.

To solve this problem, I would first try using 2 to 3 inch deck screws to draw the cabinets back to the wall. Drive the screws through the mounting blocks or the cleat at the top interior of the cabinets. Be sure they hit a stud and are sceure.

If this does not work, you will have to use a lifting device such as a bottle jack to lift the cabinets up and back into place.

First cover the counter to protect it. Place a 2 x 6 stud flat on the counter near the bottom outer edge of the upper cabinet. Next place two or more bottle jacks on top of the 2 x 6 aligning them with the top cabinets’ bottom edge. Depending on how wide the cabinet is you may need additional jacks.

Next place a second 2 x 6 stud on top of the jacks, and cover it to protect the cabinets’ finish. Now gradually raise the top 2 x 6 with the jacks until it contacts the upper cabinet.

Make sure the contact is even and secure. Now continue to raise the cabinet with the jacks until it Is properly aligned. Then use 2 or 3 inch deck screws to secure the cabinet to the wall.

Be sure to place the screws where they will contact a wall stud, as driving them in the wall alone will not work.

You may need a stud finder to locate the studs. The present nails or screws should have been placed to hit a stud. But double check anyway as not hitting a stud with the original screws or nails may be why the cabinets have fallen to start with

Once you have cabinets back in place put the contents back inside and you’re set.

I hope these ideas are useful to you

Mike,

Posted 2011-10-06T21:43:45+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+