Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Kitchen faucet disassembly

All,

With the new house, I inherited a single control with sprayer kitchen faucet. It's the kind where the mixing body swivels below the handle / control (See attached .jpg's)

Kitchen_Faucet_Assembled.jpg

It's odd in that it has a ring that slips over (holds down?) the hemispherical lower portion of the handle. It screws off right-handedly, and it has an o-ring internal gasket.

Kitchen_Faucet_Topring.jpg

When I removed the ring and loosened (actually, completely removed) the set screw at the base of the handle, I could not pull the handle off the stem. I yanked REALLY hard on it. Grrr...

There are two square cuts in the threads, as if to accept a special wrench to unscrew the valve body. Not having this, I duct-taped the valve body below the control handle, above the swivel for the spout, and had a go at it with a strap wrench. Still no dice. More GRRR...

I'm stumped. (Don't blame me, I'm the electrician!)

Is this a Pf or a Glacier Bay, or somebody else’s from whom I can download the disassembly instructions .pfd?

Your ideas would be most appreciated.

Thomas Quinn (tocuin)

P.S. the QA tag says it was manufactured in 2006. No manufacturer name is listed.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-22T20:14:43+0000  by tocuin tocuin

How did you end up getting the handle off?  Were you pushing upward with the wrench and hammer?  If you could give a little further detail it would be greatly appreciated.  I am having the same problem...I took the set screw off but the handle won't budge.  I tried CLR, PB Blaster...still won't budge.  Pulling, pushing, turning side to side just feels like if I push too hard it might break.

I

Posted 2012-02-21T01:24:08+0000  by rgatt74

Hello dwink2u, welcome to the Home Depot Community!

As tocuin mentioned, a strap wrench should give you the leverage to remove a stubborn ring.

Having a schematic really helps for this kind of work.  It makes running into stubborn connections just a solvable glitch since it’s often hard to tell how an item should be taken apart just by looking at it!

The Klien wrench is a professional tool, priced accordingly, and only available from Home Depot online.  Stores carry a Brasscraft brand tool like this:

StrapWrench.jpg

Model # T163  Internet # 100130269  Store SKU # 639378  Link: http://bit.ly/gXHuzc

If you don’t have one, you can also use a pair of channel locks or a pipe wrench.  The downside to these tools is that they have teeth in their jaws that will “bite” and mar the ring.  To prevent this, you simply wrap a washcloth or layers of tape around the ring before using the pliers.  The tape needs to be thick, so electrical, masking or of course duct tape will all work.  Duct tape works for so many things…

Hey tocuin!  Glad to see that you got that handle off.  Thanks for the .pdf file.

Newf

Posted 2011-03-08T14:36:23+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Dwink2u,

The hi-res .pdf of the parts view and the disassembly instructions for this is:

http://www.graff-faucets.com/sites/default/files/IN_G-4120_NAM.pdf

My top ring spun off with just my hand turning it. You might need to use a strap wrench.

At Home Depot:

Klein Tools 12 in. Grip-It Strap Wrench
Model # S-12H
Internet # 100647911
Didn't see the store SKU

I'd wrap a layer of duct tape around it to prevent tool marks n the finish.

My handle was fit very tightly onto the cartridge shaft. After removing the set screw, I taped the face of an open-end wrench and used it, with a small hammer, to tap the hadle up.

Good Luck!

Thomas

Thomas

Posted 2011-03-08T01:05:23+0000  by tocuin

We have this faucet and have the repair kit to stop leaking but can't get the ring off the top of the faucet.  How do you do this?  Tkx.

Posted 2011-03-06T20:33:23+0000  by dwink2u

Hello Thomas,

I found the correct manufacture and the modle # for your faucet. It is made by Pegasus and it is model# G-4120-BN. The series is Graff Vintage. One of the sites called it Triditional but I believe its a Graff Vintage. Here are a couple of diagrams that I found.

I have included the manufactures warrenty information below so you might just want to give them a call.

pegasus g4120.jpgg-4120.jpg   

Call  1-877-580-5682  or 1-888-328-2383 for Pegasus Warranty Info.

All parts of the Pegasus faucet are warranted to the original consumer purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the consumer purchaser owns it. Pegasus stands behind this claim with toll-free customer service availability 7 days a week for installation assistance and replacement parts.

I hope this helps you out with your faucet issue. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Posted 2011-02-25T18:27:48+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Hey tocuin, Newf here from The Home Depot.

I've spent some time searching the internet for a faucet design that matches yours, hoping that with a brand name their website would yield an exploded schematic and parts list.  No joy so far, so on to step 2...

I think you are on the right track trying to remove the handle after getting the set screw out.

Why would it be there if it was not necessary?

My guess is that the handle is corroded/jammed so that it does not just lift off.

I would spray some thread loosener like PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench into that set screw hole.

Give it some time and try rocking it back and forth to free it up.  The faucet handle blocks the removal of that top ring with the notches in it.  Seems to me that this part has to come off before you can go any further.

Once removed, there will be an obvious screw, nut or more likely some kind of clip holding the cartridge in.

Often the cartridge needs to be taken out in order to gain the access needed to then remove the top ring, which would then free up the spout and its ring.  Then you can clean up the stem, replace the "O" rings if needed and lube them with either plumbers silicone grease or the di-electric silicone grease you may already have.

I hope this helps,

Newf

Posted 2011-02-25T17:58:36+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

HI Hammer!

Thanks for the help.

Swivelling the spout is so stiff that we keep loosening the spud nut that holds the faucet in place. My ulimate goal is to disassemble the faucet, clean and lubricate (or replace seals in) this assembly so it will swing more easily.

Removing the faucet will be, literally, a pain in the neck. There's a garbage disposal, an instant water heater, and the spray hose under there, and the spud nut is too big for my basin wrench. I really don't want to drop the $45.00 (Plus tax) to buy a 1-1/4 to 2-1/2 inch wrench, and I hven't been able to beg / borrow one yet.

I'll keep you appriased.

Thomas

Posted 2011-02-23T22:52:11+0000  by tocuin

Good morning, Thomas, and welcome aboard. You don't say what your ultimate goal is with this disassembly, so I'll assume that it's some sort of repair. It sounds and looks to me, and a colleague here on the community, that you have taken the necessary steps to remove the handle to get to the internals, so let me make a few other suggestions.

Look under the sink and unscrew the nut holding it down, if you can lift it up, the manufacturers name may be under the base. You may need to undue the supply lines, but then you could lift the whole thing out.

You could also try looking on our website at www.homedepot.com, or you could take a picture on your cell phone, and drive to your local Home Depot to see if there is a match. It's also possible that someone in plumbing or kitchen and bath has seen this before and might be able to help you out.

I know that this isn't much of an answer, but it's the route I would take to get where I was going with this project.

Perhaps there is someone else on the community has seen this before also, and will have another suggestion.

Keep me posted, Thomas, and even though I'm called "Ray the Hammer", I would avoid using one of those just yet.

Ray the Hammer

Posted 2011-02-23T15:16:11+0000  by TheHammer

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+