Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Answered

Kitchen faucet slow to shut off

Hi all,

I just moved a new apartment and the kitchen faucet works fine, except that when shutting it off, the water flow takes about 2-4 seconds to actually shut off.

The faucet is a single handle, with a retractable sprayer hose on the faucet itself.  There is a button to switch the flow from a spray to a steady stream.  Unfortuantely, I do not know the manufacturer of the faucet.

None of the other faucets in the apartment have this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-12-08T23:34:37+0000  by brandon_w brandon_w

Thanks for the great question Brandon!

The steps to repair your leaky faucet are below.

Before you begin, turn the hot and cold water completely off at the "stops" or valves under the sink. Test to be certain the water is off by operating the faucet handle. When the handle is moved to the "on" position, a stream of water will start and then the flow should quickly diminish until it stops completely.

On the underside or backside of the handle on your faucet, you will see a small cap that, when removed, exposes a set-screw that holds the handle onto the valve stem. Loosen the set-screw and remove the handle.

You will then see a retaining collar which holds the valve into the housing of the faucet. The valve stem will stick right through the middle of this collar. Use pliers to remove the retaining collar and the valve can then be wiggled out of the housing.

Remove the valve and look into the housing. Depending upon the brand, you may see just a valve body with rubber seals built into the valve or you may see a valve with rubber valve seats built into the housing.

Based upon your description of delayed water shut off, it sounds like you have the second type. In this type, the rubber valve seats cover small springs that place constant pressure on the seat and hold it against the valve body shutting the water off. When these springs and rubber valve seats wear, they lose their water-tight seal against the valve body and the valve is slow to shut off ... eventually developing a slow leak as they wear out.

If you have the first type valve, the rubber seals built into the valve body are likely worn.

Both types of valve assemblies are commonly available on the faucet repair aisle in the Plumbing Department. Use tweezers to remove the seats and springs. Place the valve and related parts in a bag and ask the associate at your local store to help you locate the repair parts for your faucet.

TIP: A lubricant is often used to help the rubber seals slide back into the housing during reassembly.

Reverse your steps to reassemble the faucet, turn on the water, and test your faucet. The drip should stop.

Others in the community may want to add details that will assist. Instructions on this link may help as well.

Finally, another member of the community, Labwench, asked recently about replacing the "clunky" faucet handles in her bathroom. Here is the link to that thread.

Best Answer

Posted 2010-12-09T12:33:34+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I'm having the same issue with my faucet. It's a single handle with detached hose and faucet.  I think it's a Delta but there are no markings to tell me. 

I replaced the two rubber seals, the aerator and seal, and the spray diverter.  It is still slow to shut off. 

What's my next course of action? A cartridge replacment?

Posted 2013-01-02T20:25:11+0000  by USNret

Hi tomtvluong, and welcome to our Home Depot Community!

By far the most common reason why your faucet now runs so slow is a clogged aerator.

This is located at the tip of the faucet right where the water is supposed to come out.

They look like this, and can have either male or female threads:

MaleAerator.jpgFemaleAerator.jpg

In my old house with galvanized supply pipe, I get lots of rust particles that become trapped in the aerator body and screen.  It is normal maintenance for me to unscrew them and clean them out every few months.

You can unscrew them with a pair of pliers, but use a small towel or other soft material as a buffer, keeping the pliers from damaging the metal finish.  I pull off the rubber washer and pop out the inside parts. I then use an old toothbrush and sometimes need a pick or wooden toothpick to dislodge the rust and rinse it away.

Once reassembled, the faucet now should run like new.  It takes about 5 minutes to do after you have done it the first time.

I hope this helps, and have a very Merry Christmas!

Newf

Posted 2010-12-21T19:18:56+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Oh! Hi !

This is my first time on the home depot web site.  Please forgive me if I don't understand some thing ! Be sure that You'll

can correct me.  I have a question about the kitchen faucet also.  But, it is a little different ! Yesterday it work just fine and this morning  when I was turned on the handle of the kitchen faucet .  The water is just don't like to come out any more

or either that very small mount of water that come out .  Is it the button some where you need to push or it has a blot on

the pipe line or it need to cleaning the head of the tube or replace the whole entire thing .  I am real glad that if you can help me out, giving a few pointer and advice that I can get a first time learning experience and opportunity .  

Thank you ! Sir, and you have a very nice Merry Christmas !

Posted 2010-12-18T02:12:31+0000  by tomtvluong

I  understand.....I've installed dozens of pull-out/downs

You have several feet of  "hose" between the faucet valve and the aerator....

The hose expands slightly when the water is turned ON......The "run-on" occurs as the hose seeks it's normal size after the valve is turned OFF......

Price-Pfister has an insert explaining this packaged with their cheapest pull-out model sold at  HomeDepot..........

A dirty aerator can exagerate the problem..........

Posted 2010-12-10T01:16:28+0000  by abnorm

PatInPaint, thanks for the detailed reply.  I don't have much experience with plumbing, but hopefully I can figure this out!

Thanks again!

-Brandon

Posted 2010-12-09T15:59:50+0000  by brandon_w

Abnorm, I think you possibly misunderstood the question - I do not have a seperate sprayer hose AND a faucet, the sprayer is the kind that retracts into the main faucet assembly and is the only option for using the faucet.

I only notice the delay because I had a smaller condo in the same building, with the exact same faucet in the kitchen, and the water shut off immediately.

Posted 2010-12-09T15:58:40+0000  by brandon_w

Brandon......I understand your Question.....There is NOTHING wrong with your faucet......

Faucets that have attached sprayer hoses hold a pressurized charge of water within the hose.......

The pressure remains after the faucet valve/handles are turned OFF until the hose releases the remaining pressurized water....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am NOT a Home Depot employee

Posted 2010-12-09T13:32:27+0000  by abnorm

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+