Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Fun & Games

Koob instructions are wrong

Not happy with home depot right now — the instructions for the Koob gamr batons says to use 1 and 1/4 inch dowels — spent 21 dollars and followed directions. That money is wasted👴. 
Because the instructions incorrectly instructed me to use 1 and a quarter dowels instead of the standard and what everyone else says to use in their instructions— 1 and 3/8” rods; the batons are too light and they do not fly the same or knock down the koobs.
Are instructions verified when they are postec on your site? Is the cut dowel returnable.
Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-07-20T03:11:37+0000  by Athroughz Athroughz

Good morning Athroughz,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

There are two Kubb games listed on homedepot.com. One version had copper batons that were 3/4" and is found by clicking here

The other version is one made entirely out of wood and does have the 1-1/4" wood baton pieces. This project can be found by clicking here

I'm aware of the 1-1/4" batons in the latter post, because I built this Kubb game set as well as the article for it in the fall of 2015. 

User-added image

Since the almost 3 years (as of this post) that I've written about this great game, I've personally seen lots of inconsistencies for the specs on how to build it online not just for the batons, but the stakes, King piece, and Kubbs themselves. 

I personally got the original specs off a DIY website, and it is different from the U.S. National Kubb Championship rules on how to build it. Had I known this site before I built my set to post here, I would of been closer to their specs. In terms of verification, I checked at the time of the post other websites, and I chose 1-1/4" as a diameter size versus even smaller ones I saw. 

Remember, that this is a game from Northern Europe, so the measurements they state are in metric. In fact, they state that their diameter batons are 4.4 cm, which equals roughly 1.73 inches. 

So, I hate to agree to disagree, but your 1-3/8" dowel rod size you state is 'standard' is indeed not that at all. Nor is mine, which I will readily agree to.

But, I will say this. In the almost 3 years (as of this post) that I've been the owner of this Kubb set, I've played it literally on bluegrass in Kentucky, to Gulf coast beaches in Texas and Florida (pic below of the last time I played it!). 

Personally, that slight 1/8" difference in diameter has never affected my nor my friends throwing abilities to successfully knock down all the Kubb and king pieces. 

In fact, the only thing that I've seen that has is that uneven ground, strong winds,  making the overall pitch larger, incorrect throwing, or higher grass can greatly affect the results of knocking down your Kubb pieces. 

Out of everywhere I've played this Kubb set, a beach with fine sand is the absolute best place to play Kubb that I have found. 

I do apologize for you for not having your dowels knock the pieces in the Kubb set effectively, but I have never seen an issue with anyone including myself play it in the almost 3 years since I built my set. 

Make sure you are throwing correctly, using a good quality dowel rod cut to 12" inches in length no more than 1-3/4" in diameter, and have a good pitch. Besides that, I honestly have never had an issue with my 1-1/4" dowel rods used as batons in any of my Kubb games.

Any cut wood is unfortunately not returnable, but try the 1-1/4" diameter first with the information I just spoke about, and let us know if you have any further questions.

Joseph

Posted 2018-07-23T15:21:26+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+