Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

LAWN

Live in Central TEXAS.  My wife had a China Berry tree planted in our front yard.  Two years ago, I had the lawn resodded with St. Augistine. It looked great.  Now all of a sudden (maybe gradually) my lawn started dying out.  It's a big mud pit now, no grass at all. Is it because of that stupid tree she had planted????  Did it do something to the soil?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-29T15:31:39+0000  by AceASpades AceASpades

Hi AceASpades,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.  

There are a couple of things about St. Augustine that are important to keep it in great shape:

1.  NEVER water in the evening or any later in the afternoon then, that by the time the sun sets, the grass is not dry to the touch.  Night time watering will create a fungus in your St. Augustine that will kill it off in patches and eventually spread to your whole lawn.  I made the same mistake about 15 years ago.  Once I stopped watering at night, the St. Augustine eventually came  back the next season.
  2. Do not use a standard Weed N Feed on your lawn  like Scotts Weed N'Feed, since the St. Augustine is a wide blade grass, it will succumb to the weed killer in many of the  Weed N Feed products.  Be sure to check the label before using any weed and feed.  Bandini makes a weed and feed that should work on your St. Augustine.  It seems that the Floritam variety of St. Augustine is the most sensitive to the weed and feed products.  Be sure to read the label.
  3. Daily watering may not be necessary, depending on the type of sprinkler system you have.  Popups or streams emit the most water.
  4. A regular fertilization of your St. Augustine will also be very helpful.  You can fertilizer every two months with out a problem.  I would also use Ironite on the St. Augustine as well to help replace the valuable minerals that help to keep this grass healthy.

The Alaskan Fish Emulsion also works well on the St. Augustine although you will have to dilute it in a Dial N Spray to be able to apply it.  

Bandini Weed & Feed 50 lb.jpgIronite Mineral Supplement Fertilizer.jpgAlaska Fish Emulsion.jpg

I do not think the tree is the issue unless it is a large shade tree.  St. Augustine loves the sun and the water.  I do a drench with my St. Augustine and only water 1-2 times a week. But I water for about 45 minutes on each cycle. This type of watering allows the water to percolate deeper into the ground.

My front yard is also a hard pack and I find that with this type of watering, the St. Augustine is much happier!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

This has been another of,

Posted 2013-03-29T18:29:11+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+