Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

LAWNS GONE BAD

Hi, I'm at a loss of how to restore my lawns to their original beauty. I've lived at this Aurora, Colorado property for the past 11 years. Both lawns used to be lush and beautiful, but over the years they have degraded considerably. The front lawn faces the rising sun and the backyard gets the midday to evening sun. I don't know whether to contribute the degradation to various lawn services or lack of attention. I'm fairly diligent in the upkeep as I was very proud of the appearance.

Recently I've tried overseeding, just a month or so ago, but I'm not seeing the desired results. For the front, I simply spread the seed (something I ordered online) and used some left over patch seed.

For the backyard, there was a large area that I had previously tried to sod, but it didn't work out too well. This time I used a garden rake to "scratch" the area, then seeded, fertilized and packed the soil to prevent runoff as it is on a sloping area. For the rest of the backyard area, I simply spreaded seed, then made a serious attempt at frequent watering over a two week period. Thanks for any help.  Frustrated in Colorado.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-07T21:45:11+0000  by papaMRJ1 papaMRJ1

I live in Nashville, TN. My lawn looks pitiful.  My new  yard guy used pre-emergent 10 days.  He also used it in March and it killed most of my weeds which I did not realize was about half my yard. I planted grass seed on a layer of special dirt from Scott's for troubled yards yesterday forgetting that he put pre-emergent down.  Will my seed grow at all?  What should I do?

Posted 2011-05-07T22:35:32+0000  by bobperry2010

Hey, papaMRJ1. Ken here in the Chicago area. Welcome to the community. It looks like you have a major

pathway, the width of a driveway there. It also looks very compacted.

The first thing I would do is dig in a few places to see how close the tree roots are

to the surface. If you don’t contact tree roots, then go to your local HD Tool Rental

Center and rent a tiller. Till the soil to 6 inches or so and smooth it out. Mix in

Starter Fertilizer and smooth it out. Spread your seed (may I suggest a High Traffic mix).

Then cover the seed with Lawn Soil from Scotts. Use no more than one quarter inch.

Scotts Turf Builder Starter Fertilizer.jpgScotts High Traffic Mix seed.jpgseeding soil.jpg

This will keep the birds from eating all the seed and also help keep the seed moist for germination.

The seed must stay consistently moist until germination. That means water 2-3 times a day.

After germination, keep up regular water (once or twice a day) for 3-4 weeks. Do not mow

during this time to allow the roots to get established. Then when you mow, mow high at first,

then gradually lower the cutting height to 2-3 inches. At this time cut back on water to 2-3

times a week. Watering deeply and infrequently (in the morning) will help build a deep root system.

If you contact roots close to the surface, then do not till. Water for a few days in a row to loosen

up the soil. Rough up the soil with a hard rake and start the process with Starter Fertilizer

and smooth it out, etc.

In the Fall, core-aerate to relieve compaction. I hope this helps. Take care and good luck.

Posted 2011-05-09T15:09:57+0000  by Ken_HD_CHI

Hey, bobperry2010. Ken here in the Chicago area. Welcome to the community.

If your yard guy put down a pre-emergent in March and 10 days ago, I doubt

Any grass will germinate. Usually pre-emergents last up to four months. You will

probably have to wait until Fall to reseed. For now, take care of what grass is there

and maintain good soil moisture. If some grass seed does germinate, follow my post

above on when to mow, height, etc. Also put down some Starter Fertilizer to help

with the new growth. Good luck and take care.

Posted 2011-05-09T15:47:06+0000  by Ken_HD_CHI

Howdy PapaMP1,

With Spring here most people like to get their lawns in shape. A lush, green lawn in Colorado requires proper mowing and timely applications of water and fertilizer. 

Thanks for including a photo of your lawn to help us figure out the best plan of action. It looks like compact soil, lack of fertilizer, and foot traffic has taken it's toll on your yard. 

The choices are pretty clear what you can do for a new lawn.

1.jpg     3.jpg     4.jpg

1) Take out the entire old lawn(s) and re-sod. This is the quickest fix, but a bit more cost. You will need a rototiller to break up the ground, seeding soil for the new sod or seed

LL_SUB_seed in hand seeder.jpgscotts_sm.jpgsprinkler closeup.jpg

2) You can re-seed your lawn(s), this takes longer and save's a bit of time. Now remember, soil preparation is a must do before you do either one. You will need a rototiller to break up the ground, grass seed, seed broadcaster, seeding soil, and a good watering plan.

This is the link to how to re-sod.

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Lawn-Care-Tools-Equipment/How-to-install-a-Sod-lawn/m-p/12235

This is a link for the preparation needed for your new lawn.

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Outdoor-Living-Landscaping/RED-CLAY-FOR-8-YEARS/m-p/16645#M323

The next thing to address is: "what kind of grass do you want.

Kentucky bluegrass is the most widely used lawn grass in Colorado. Local growers produce high-quality bluegrass sod. If you want to seed ,it is best to seed Kentucky bluegrassin late August to early September.

Other grasses that generally work well for Colorado lawns are Buffalo Grass, Blue Grama, Tall Fescue, Perennial ryegrass, and Crested Wheatgrass.

I hope this information helps you in your lawn project, If any of our other members of the community would like to share their experience with new lawns feel free, that's what this forum is all about. 

Happy Gardening,

Posted 2011-05-09T19:56:08+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+