Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Landscaping advice and help with tree identification

Hi guys,

Ok I got some great advice for my last landscaping job and I'm ready for my next job!  

Here it is -

Landscaping.jpg

First, a question -- what is the name of those medium size trees in the middle?   Secondly, how do I care for them?  Lately, the leaves have been turning brown and I've been having to trim them back.   Is there a good fertilizer that I can use to keep them in good condition?

For the landscaping project, I have 3 large palm trees and those medium size trees that I would like to keep (they look nice when they're not dying!).   The hedges along the back wall are not uniform, and just look haphazardly placed, so I'm thinking of getting rid of them.   Also, I'm thinking of getting rid of the ground cover in the front and replacing it with something that doesn't look as "weedy".  Either small ground cover plants or flowers.  I'm thinking the whole area is lacking color too -- yellows, reds, etc.  Of course, these are just my thoughts.  I'm open to anything.  If you thnk I should tear everything out and start from scratch, I'd like to hear that too!

So what do you guys think?  What would you do?  FYI -  I live in south Florida -- so probably zone 9-10.  And, I'd say the area is full sun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-30T03:01:34+0000  by UFlaDave UFlaDave

Yep, I was looking at some edgers when I was in HD the other day.  Either that, or a low level retaining wall (maybe 2 bricks high).    I'm done tilling the areas where I want to plant.   Now, I'm having a heck of a time finding some of the plants that you suggested.  Namely, the stella d'oro daylilly and the cast iron plants.  They seem very popular, so I'm surprised that I can't find them.  I'll keep looking.   HD had a bunch of Liriope Muscari (super blue) that seemed like it would make decent ground cover if I can't find the Cast Iron.   What do you think about that plant? 

Posted 2011-07-11T03:33:17+0000  by UFlaDave

Project Complete!

LandscapeFinal.jpg

I just finished installing my Malibu lights, and I'm officially done.  Thanks for all of your help, greengiant.  Unfortunately, many of the plants that you recommended weren't available in my area.    After doing some research, I decided to go with some pentas, blue days, mexican heather.  I also decided to just go with a raised bed in the center, instead of a fountain.   The fountain would have been awesome, but the droppings from the palm trees would have turned into too much maintenence. 

It's interesting.  Now that I'm done, the whole area has come alive -- lizzards, bees, frogs, and even a few butterflies have been spotted basking in my landscape.   That's pretty neat, considering the area was a virtual graveyard before I started.  

For any of you reading this that are considering delving into landscaping, obviously, this forum is a good place to start.  Beyond this, two great books that I found at HD is Black and Decker's "The Complete Guide to Landscaping Projects" and Home Depot's "Gardening in 1-2-3", with a strong emphasis on that last book.  Everything that you ever wanted to know about gardening is in that book -- especially for a beginner like myself! 

Again, thanks for your moral encouragement, GG.   I think I need a vacation after this one...

Posted 2011-07-20T20:02:21+0000  by UFlaDave

Hey Dave.

That looks incredible. Sorry I have been out of touch for a week or so, I am just getting back from my vacation in Cape San Blas Florida. Have you ever been scalloping? It is crazy fun.

Back to your project. You are the ultimate do it yourselfer, for you have proven that there is no size project you can't do and you do them very well. Keep us posted with your next endeavor, for it is exciting to see such awesome transformations take place.

cape.JPG

Posted 2011-07-21T12:22:54+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Hey GG,

Nope -- never been scalloping.  Fishing, in general is not my thing... I was never able to get past hooking the worm!  I always felt guilty of killing those poor, defenseless worms :-P   And then gutting the fish? No way.   Cool pic though -- looks like you guys had fun.

I'll be sure to keep you guys in mind for my next DIY adventures.  Nothing major on the horizon though.  I got a good book at HD on container gardening -- think I'll dabble with that a little.   Thanks again for the encouragement and support.

Posted 2011-07-25T03:27:57+0000  by UFlaDave
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+