Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Lawn

I love doing yard work. I'm 12 so i'm not sure how to fertilize, seed and how to put that white powder stuff on the grass. what order do i put them down in and what kind do you reccomend?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-06T23:00:31+0000  by irishgardner288 irishgardner288

Dear irishgardener288,

Hello, Howdy, and Hi, aspiring gardener.  My friends call me: "Coach Dave" because I enjoy coaching people on how to get their plants and projects into shape. 

When dealing with things like lawn equiptment and fertilizers, it's always best to make sure your parents are part of the project. It would be selfish to do it all yourself and leave them out of the fun.

The first item you will need is lawn starter fertilizer. You can think of fertilizers as the food that plants eat. Starter fertilizer is like baby food and regular fertilizer is grown up food.

The second item you will need is grass seedIf you bring them some of your grass from your lawn, The garden department at The Home Depot can help you to choose the right kind of grass seed.

Start by having your parents mow your lawn as low as possible. 

Next have your parents sprinkle some starter fertilizer on spots that have no grass.

Here is where you can take over. Sprinkle the grass seed on the spots that don't have grass growing on them. Make sure to read the directions carefully, too much grass seed or fertilizer won't help.

Lastly, you will need to water every day to keep the seed moist, but not drenched. Remember, they are baby grass and can't swim.

lawn.jpg

My last tip is to not be afraid to ask questions about why things like: seeding , fertilizing, planting, or whatever else makes things grow. Understanding how lawns and gardens work will make you happy that you the "irishgardener" grew it!

Happy Gardening

Posted 2011-04-08T06:08:45+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

thank you. and one last question. should i thature the dead grass before my parents and i put the fertilize and seed down?

Posted 2011-04-11T00:25:30+0000  by irishgardner288

Hello again "Irishgardener",

In terms of "dethatching", this is a good practice every other year. However remember, thatch is just grass clippings, weeds, and grass seeds. So having some is natures way of re-seeding.

To answer your question: I would say "Yes"  It's not necessary, but a good idea.

Happy Gardening,

Posted 2011-04-11T18:01:35+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+