Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Answered

Lawn Help....Is this fungus or need more water?or burnt from fertilizer..

20130526_191419.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-28T07:39:50+0000  by Kenshin03 Kenshin03

Hi again Kenshin03,

The only effective solution for excess fertilizer in your situation is to water it. Be sure to water in the early morning and not in the late afternoon.  Be sure to check that the water is actually soaking into the ground and not just running off onto the sidewalk.   If this is the case, you will need to aerate the lawn. You can accomplish this by using a simple called a garden fork or tilling fork. 

Tilling Fork D-Handle.jpg Aerating your lawn or tree w a tilling fork.jpg 

This tool works great to aerate a small portion of your yard.

This tool works great to aerate a small portion of your yard.  Since you are using a stationary sprinkler to water your lawn, it will be necessary to water your lawn for about 20 to 30 minutes 2-3 times week. 

The damaged area will renew itself over time.  When you add a fertilizer to your lawn, especially a liquid fertilizer, it actually stresses the lawn.  It would have been better not to have cut the lawn or to have only cut 1 inch of grass off the lawn.  Fescue will do best when it is kept at about 1 1/2 to 2 inches high.

By applying the fertilizer a second time in such a short period of time, you effectively burned your lawn, although it is also possible that you may have inadvertently cut your grass too short as well. 

The lawn will recover as long as you water it on a regular basis, but be sure that you are watering in the morning and not in the evening or you will end up with a fungus in your lawn.

This has been another of,

Best Answer

Posted 2013-05-28T23:24:42+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

heres the other picture...I remember my lawn was green before I fertilize my grass a month a go with vigoro wee and feed  and I did a follow spray last week  and after 3 days cutting my lawn Its was like that...my friend told me needs more water I water my lawn 3x a week for 10mnts.Please help20130526_191421.jpg20130526_191424.jpg

Posted 2013-05-28T07:44:27+0000  by Kenshin03

Hi there Kenshin03,

I’m Jen, from The Home Depot.  Welcome to the community and thanks for your question.

I think by the picture, you can rule out a fungus.  Your friend may be correct; it does look like your lawn is dry.  To maintain a healthy lawn, it requires 1” of water per week.  You can measure this by marking a tuna can and setting it outside while you water.  Another good practice is to water deep and less frequently.  This will allow the roots to run deep and they will be able to with stand drought conditions better.  If you water a little at a time, the roots run towards the surface and your lawn will not be able to tolerate drought conditions as easily.  2-3 times per week is good.  You may not be giving it enough water at that time.

What state do you live in?  It is hot right now?

Let’s talk about fertilizer.  It’s fine that you used the Vigoro Weed and Feed.  Did you use a spreader to apply it?  What did you use as a follow up spray 3 weeks later?  If it was a fertilizer, you may have burnt your lawn.  Typically, you should only fertilize every 8-12 weeks.  It will depend, however on what was used.

I look forward to hearing back from you and I feel confident that we can get to the bottom of things and help you maintain a green lawn.

Posted 2013-05-28T11:37:21+0000  by Jen_HD_BOS

Hi Kenshin03,

It looks like your tall fescue lawn may have been burnt by the fertilizer due to a lack of water.  It also looks like you are in SoCal?  We have a lot of cinder block wall in many of our neighborhoods.  One of the things you want to remember before you add any fertilizer is that your lawn needs to be hydrated with at least 1 inch of water prior to adding any fertilizer.  When a granular fertilizer is applied, the lawn needs to be dry to the touch.  As soon as you finish applying the fertilizer, you will need to water the grass again briefly, usually about 5 minutes is enough.   

If you are using a hose end fertilizer application, be sure to apply the fertilizer in the morning, before the heat of the day.  Always follow the directions on the bottle.

Vigoro Weed & Feed Hose end sprayer.jpg

How tall was the grass before you cut it?  If you let the grass get too tall, the lower blades of grass will be deprived of sunlight and will be brown toward the bottom 1 ½ -2 inches of the grass blades.

What did you spray on the lawn?  If you sprayed the fertilizer again, this would have burnt the lawn due to over fertilization.  You should wait at least 4 weeks before re-applying fertilizer to your lawn.

In SoCal, we have a lot of sand and your lawn will require more than 1 inch of water per week.  It will be necessary to water about 30– 45 minutes 2-3 times a week with a pop up or stream type of sprinkler system. 

If you are using a hose end type of sprinkler, the same time period applies if you are using a standard in place vertical hose end attachment.

Hose End Square Pattern Spot sprinkler.jpgHose End Sprinklyer dule circular patern.jpgHose End Square Pattern Spot sprinkler.jpgHose End Sprinkler Square pattern.jpg

If you are trying to water by hand using a nozzle, 10 minutes of watering will barely put 1/8 inch of water on the lawn.  Having an automatic sprinkler system is the way to go.

Hose Nozzle rear trigger.jpgHose Nozzle Melnor rubber coated.jpg.jpgHose nozzle Melnor.jpgHose Nozzle rear trigger.jpg

Please let us know if you have any further questions.  We are here to help you.

This has been another of,

Posted 2013-05-28T20:43:26+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Thank you so much Jen and Rick for the quick response...

I live in Sacramento California .I cut my grass on may12 coz its been 3wks already since the last time I cut it and see a lot of weed....I set the mower in #2 position after 4days cutting it the I reapply again the vigoro and after reapplying that over the weekend I saw the white mark in my lawn......the first applicaton of the fertilizer was 3weeks before I did the second spray...Can you please help me what is my next step to make grass green again....Im using a sprinkler to water my lawn ....thanks

Vigoro Weed & Feed Hose end sprayer.jpg

Posted 2013-05-28T22:48:23+0000  by Kenshin03

thanks again Rick your the best....

I water my lawn in the morning ,I think you right coz before I fertilize it I just cut the lawn and kinda too short and right after that I apply the vigoro.Hope I can revive my lawn in time.

Tnanks Home Depot associate specially to Rick and Jen.....

Posted 2013-05-28T23:36:48+0000  by Kenshin03

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+