Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Lawn help

My lawn is dead and filled with weeds and crab grass. How do I start to make lawn a lawn again. It oops like the Adams family garden.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-20T18:24:31+0000  by Rakfa102 Rakfa102

Hi Rakfa102,

Thank you for your question and welcome o our community.  If you want to start a brand new lawn, there are a couple of steps you will need to take to accomplish this.  Great visual image of the  Adams Family garden!  :)

Watering the area will help soften up the soil and reduce the dust.  Be sure that the water is actually soaking in the ground and not running off into the street or sidewalk.  Once the area has been cleared and tilled, it is always a good idea to add a good quality soil amendment to the soil.

Whether you do seed or sod, the soil preparation is the same, but there are several steps you will need to follow:

1.            Watering the lawn will dampen the soil but it will also activate any weed seeds in the soil.

2.            Kill off anything that grows back using a non-selective herbicide.

3.            Repeat this process 3-4 more times.

4.            Each time you repeat this process, you will be killing off more and more weed seeds.  The more weed                      

seeds you can get rid of, the less competition you grass seeds or sod will have.

Depending on where you live, directions on this next step will vary.  On the East Coast it is recommended that the next step should be to:

1.            Use an aerating machine in the yard

2.            If you do not have an automatic sprinkler system in your yard yet, this would be a great time to add one    

since the yard is dug up anyway.  This is can be done as a first step or the last step after you have added        

your soil amendments.

3.            Cover the area with 1 inch of a good topper         

4.            Use a spreader to apply the seed (Check with your local Home Depot Garden Department for seed that is

appropriate in your area)

5.            Cover the grass seed with about 1/8 to no more than 1/4 inch of topper

6.            Add a “Starter Fertilizer” over the topper.  A starter fertilizer is high in Phosphate/Phosphorous which will

promote a more rapid root growth in your grass seed or sod.

7.             Keep the area damp but hot wet

8.            The grass seeds should germinate in the next 10 to 14 days

9.             Once the grass gets about 3-4 inches high, usually in about 3-4 weeks, cut the grass down to about 2

inches high with a newly sharpened lawn mower blade.

On the West Coast we recommend:

1.            Once all the grass and weeds have been removed, use a Rototilling machine in the yard to break up and  

loosen the soil. I prefer a Rear Tine type of Rototiller

2.            If you do not have an automatic sprinkler system in your yard yet, this would be a great time to add one

since the yard is dug up anyway.  This is can be done as a first step or the last step after you have added

your soil amendments and rototilled your yard.

3.            Add a good quality soil amendment over the top of the ground, usually 2-4 inches

4.            Rototill this material into the ground to a depth of 6-8 inches or deeper.

5.            Cover the area with 1 inch of a good topper

Roto Tiller Rear Tine.jpg  Trencher.jpg

If you are applying seed:

1.            Use a spreader to apply the seed (Check with your local Home Depot Garden Department for seed that is  

appropriate in your area).

Hand help rotory spreade3.jpg Spreader Broadcast.jpg Drop spreader1.jpg

2.            Cover the grass seed with about 1/8 to no more than 1/4 inch of topper Add a “Starter Fertilizer” over the

topper.

3.            Keep the area damp but not wet.  The grass seeds should germinate in the next 10 to 14 days

4.            Once the grass gets about 3-4 inches high, usually in about 3-4 weeks, cut the grass down to about 2

inches high with a newly sharpened lawn mower blade. A newly sharpened lawn mower blade will cut the

new grass cleanly and not pullout any new grass by the newly formed root system.

If you are laying down sod:

1.            Use a sod roller to ensure the sod has good contact with the ground.

2.            Add your starter fertilizer using some type of spreader.

3.            Keep the sod “gushy wet” for the first week.

I am a fan of using the Rototiller so that nutrients can be added to the soil, but then, we have a lot of sandy loam here on the West Coast.  Check with your local Home Depot Tool Rental for availability.

After your lawn has been established, which will be about 2-3 months with sod; you can use a Weed Killer or a Weed & Feed on your lawn.  When you get ready to do this project, let me know.  There is a very specific protocol to follow when using a Weed & Feed in order to make the application effective.

Be sure to take pictures of your project and share them with us in the Project Library under “I Did This”. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

This has been another of,

Ricks Picks

Posted 2013-05-21T19:42:03+0000  by Rick_HD_OC
Boy you really covered everything! Thanks for all of your help. I'll start working on my little lawn and post pics. Thanks a bunch!
Posted 2013-05-22T01:37:59+0000  by Rakfa102

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+