Sign In to join the community | Help
Gift Ideas


Leak under sink

After dissembling my sink drain and putting it back together with a new gasket, I had hoped to have stopped the leaks, but now I'm finding I still have a little leak -- in the location shown in the attached picture, right where the red circle is.


I didn't put anything there because I don't know what to do. (Plumber's putty? Silicone?) I just hand-tightened it -- though this was difficult because I couldn't figure out exactly how it screwed together, and there was a very sharp lip that almost cut me.


It doesn't appear I'm getting any leaks from the top of the assembly (where you can see a black rubber gasket). Only at the juncture circled in red. How do I seal this little juncture?



Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-09T16:35:36+0000  by ddas ddas

Outstanding ddas!


That DIY spirit has saved Community Members millions this year!


Now that you know "How To," you can apply both skill and confidence toward your next project.


Thanks for coming back to share your success!

Best Answer

Posted 2013-12-17T15:08:34+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Forgot to mention! If I grab the juncture with my hand, I can forcibly move it up and down -- indicating it's not totally tightened. However, I can't figure out how to tighten it any further.
Posted 2013-12-09T16:39:03+0000  by ddas

The gasket at the connection from the drain to the P-trap (elbow) may be worn out or missing.


p trap.jpg


 I suggest getting a new P-trap system with all new gaskets.

Posted 2013-12-09T19:25:22+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Hello ddas!


Thanks for the photo!


Plumber's Putty has traditionally been used in joints like this to fill and seal.


You might also have seen a rubber or plastic compression gasket like the one shown by the red arrow.


It actually installs where the green arrow is pointing and helps seal the joint in question.

Trap Gasket.jpg You'll find replacements in Plumbing.

Be careful when handling any sharp objects!


If cut during a repair, stop immediately to clean, disinfect, and bandage the cut.



If all else fails, consider Stretch and Seal tape.

Stretch and Seal.jpg

This plumber's tape looks like electrical tape, but stretches and seals leaks.

On passive, no-pressure fittings this tape is easy to apply and stops leaks quickly.

Posted 2013-12-09T19:56:03+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thanks so much for the incredible help here.


I did end up replacing the whole p-trap. It was a little hard to figure out being that I needed one special connector, so I had to disassemble my old one, bring it into the store, and have an associate help me figure out exactly what I needed to hook it up.


I ended up going with a plastic (not metal, as the original) one, since the cost savings were significant and this is under a counter so I'm not concerned about looks.


The leak appears to be totally fixed and I could not be happier. Plus of course that feeling of accomplishment for not having to resort to calling a plumber in, and fixing it with my own hands.


Thank you everybody!

Posted 2013-12-15T06:49:59+0000  by ddas
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question