Sign In to join the community | Help

Leaking Garden Tub

My husband and I are first time home owners with no repair experience. We purchased a 1994 Skykine mobile home. Our master garden bath tub is running even in the off position. It’s running hot water so the rest of the house is in short supply. Also the grippy thing inside the knob is no longer grooved because the handle broke and we used pliers to turn it on. 
I can’t keep listening to it or losing the hot water but have no idea what I need to replace it or how to do it. There is no access panel. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-02-04T01:13:49+0000  by Mamakoke4 Mamakoke4
Handles for shower/bath faucet can be a little trickier than just an ordinary sink faucet because they attach in different ways.  To complicate matters, mobile home manufacturers often use brands that unique to the industry and not found (or at least easily) at the local home center or hardware store.  If you just have a metal stem sticking out, you could probably find a "universal" replacement handle for a sink faucet that would work, although it probably won't match the other handles.

If the water is still running after you shut it off with pliers, that likely indicates a problem inside the valve.  Many modern faucets use what's called a "cartridge" which is just a single piece that comes with all the washers and O-rings necessary, just take out the old and put in the new.  Some of the older shower/bath faucets still use simple (and inexpensive) rubber washers.

You are going to have to figure out who makes the shower/bath faucet and the model to see what your repair options are.  The other alternative is to replace the entire faucet by cutting a hole in the wall behind it.  It's not the easiest thing to do but certainly "doable".

I might also suggest taking pictures of what you have and posting them here.  From there we may be able to make suggestions.
Posted 2019-02-04T10:02:29+0000  by Adam444

Hello Mamakoke4 and welcome to the community.

Adam is correct, about Modular Home manufactures often do use unique brands for many of the homes replacement parts.  Click on Skyline to be connected to their website, to find out the manufacture of your faucet.  From there, you can find out where replacement parts are available or if the entire faucet may need to be replaced.

Thank you for your inquiry.


Posted 2019-02-05T13:49:21+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question