Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Leaking shower head

Hello,

Posting here as I'm at my wit's end.  I have a shower head that is leaking, and I assumed that the problem was in the handle and assembly.  I removed all compenents and found one o-ring that appeared pinched and damaged.  Replaced this o-ring and it's neighbor and put everything back together.  Still leaking.  Came to HD and bought a brand new cartridge (Delta rp19804) and installed this.  Still leaking.  Now I can only assume that the leak is in the shower head itself.  I removed the shower head and there is no leak from the bare pipe.  This makes no sense to me whatsoever.  How can there be no leak when the shower head is off, but there is a fairly persistent leak (probably about one drip per second) when the head is on?  It seems to me that if the handle assembly is stopping all water, it wouldn't matter if the shower head is on or not.  Anyways, I have not purchased a new shower head yet because it just doesn't make sense that this would fix my problem.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-06-01T14:57:54+0000  by tbeecher tbeecher

Hello Tbeecher,

Welcome to the community.

Sorry for the delay in our answer.

It doesn’t sound like anything is wrong with your shower valve/head.

I would guess that the water that is leaking out is coming from the left over water in the head and shower arm itself.

This is common in some of the newer shower heads with the flow restrictor it them. It saves a lot of water but it doesn’t let all of the water come out freely after the water is turned off. Especially the larger shower heads. The water builds up when it’s turned on and pushes it out in a stream but when there is not any pressure pushing it out it will just drip out till it’s all gone out of the head and shower arm.

I am pretty certain of this since you removed the head and it didn’t leak anymore.

If it’s a tub/shower combo you can reduce the amount of water that continues to drip by opening the diverter valve half way and letting the water in the pipe drain out the tub spout. This is what I do and it only drips for a minute or less. If I don’t it drips quite a bit longer. I also got a smaller shower head and took the low flow restrictor out. I’m not advising you to take the flow restrictor out I’m simple stating that’s what I did. Saving water is a good thing.:smileyhappy:

I hope this helps you stop your leaking shower head.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.     

Posted 2012-06-06T20:00:59+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+