Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Leaky hot water faucet, bathroom sink

First things first, I'm pretty new to all things DIY so don't be afraid to dumb it down!

I've turned off the water supply to my bathroom sink, intending to replace the washer, but the water doesn't entirely shut off. I've taken the faucet handle off and it's still sort of dribbling up around the stem (not from the base of the faucet, though). So my question is, am I doing something wrong, or should I just expect to get a little wet?  Is it that:

(a) The problem isn't the washer

(b) It may be the washer but I may have more than one problem

(c) I have weak girly hands and should try harder

(d) some combination of the above?

Amy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-29T22:52:30+0000  by amyo amyo

HI . The shut off valve maybe the OTHER problem. They are sometimes hard to turn all the way. You might have a HANDS problem. Where is your Husband for this?

Posted 2011-01-30T15:40:45+0000  by thomasQ

ok, thanks.  Believe it or not, i'm the "handy" one in the family.  He's the pretty one ;)

Posted 2011-01-30T17:48:40+0000  by amyo

Hey there amyo. You seem to have a better grasp (that totally wasn't an intended pun) than you give yourself credit for. I think thomasQ has a point in that the valve may be part of the problem itself. Your plan to replace the stem washer is dead on. Unfortunatly the valve leaves us at two possibilities.

1. The valve isn't being turned completely. 

2. The valve is being turned completely, but it too has a bad washer.

Case 1 is a simple fix. The careful application of more force will remedy it and i recommend trying this route first as it's the easiest. Keeping a hand on the valve, grab the handle with a pair a pliers (leverage is your friend) and using your hand to steady the valve turn the handle with the pliers. Don't use excessive force and be mindful of any give you feel in the handle as they can sometimes brittle with age. In the event of case 2 the fix is more involved as the valve will need to be replaced which many of us on the site can walk you through if need be. Hopefully its just a case of the valve not fully closing due to its age and you'll be done in no time. Worst cast, there is no better intro to DIY than a plumbing problem. Solve it and you'll feel like a super hero. Make sure to get back to us if you have any questions and welcome aboard.

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Posted 2011-01-31T19:10:58+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+