Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Light Fixture Wiring

Hi guys.  I'm hoping that someone can guide me in the right direction.  I have changed a couple of fixtures in the past as well as a ceiling fan of two but am a novice. I needed to change the light fixture in my living room.  It is connected to two different switches that control it.   I started to remove the old one carefully as I like to see how it's connected and then replicate it.  

Unfortunately as I was removing the old one it slipped and came apart before I could look.  The fixture itself has the typical white and black connections.  But the junction box has two of each.  I'm assuming because of the two switches.  I've included a pic to illustrate.   It looks as if a white and black were connected together but can't imagine the other two were.  Hoping that I can get some guidance.  Thanks a lot. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-22T22:49:52+0000  by Cpt Cpt

Hello Cpt,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

Unfortunately, I couldn't see any uploaded images...if you can attempt it again, it would benefit you immensely.

This is one of those situations where it sounds like you have a 3-way wiring setup, where 2 switches are controlling your light fixture(s).

You'll need to inspect the wires and where the power source is coming from not just the fixture's junction box, but also the switches too. Since two switches are controlling the light(s), you'll have to ascertain where the travelers/hot (usually black/red wires) and where the common wires are (white wires).

Since there are various types of 3-way wiring setups, you'll have to research this before continuing, as no one here can view your wiring setup.

Keep us updated on your progress, and let us know if you have any further questions.

Joseph

Posted 2016-01-23T18:13:47+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+