Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Lighten a can of paint?

I bought a 5 gallon can of paint - it is too dark.  Can I take it back and have it lightened?  I am pretty sure we can’t return it...
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-09-06T22:28:36+0000  by CSjm CSjm

Hi CSjm,

There is no real way to lighten tinted paint, the only solution is to mix the current color with white base in a new clean 5 gallon bucket. Keep adding paint until the color you desire is achieved. This is a tricky process and one that is hard to duplicate. 

This will require the purchase of a 5 gallon can of white base, and additional 5 gallon buckets. Keep very close tabs on the amount of the original paint and new white base you add to the first new bucket, this will allow you to create a close match for each bucket of the new color you create.

Based on the time, effort and expense this would require, I would buy a new bucket of paint have it tinted to the color you want and use the existing paint for another project or donate it to a good cause such as Habitat for Humanity.

Mike

Posted 2018-09-07T00:34:10+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Actually, Mike's above answer is only partially correct. Darker colors, which contain  little or no white pigment, can be significantly lightened by the addition of white pigment. However, paints that are mixed from a full bodied white paint, such as Behr Ultra Pure White, have so much white pigment in them that the addition a  few more ounces of additional white will make no significant lightening of the color. Slight lightening of colors mixed from a "Medium Base", may be slightly lightened by the addition of white pigment, again, this is dependent on how much white pigment is already in the formula.
Posted 2018-09-08T04:59:32+0000  by ordjen
Hi Ordjen,

I appreciate your technical input, however most customers do not have this knowledge and do not have access to paint tint and short of making multiple trips to the store to adjust the color, mix and blend is a method any homeowner can use on site to lighten the paint and continue with their project.

Mike
Posted 2018-09-10T19:43:27+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Mike,

The customer's question was merely whether it could be lightened if he bought the paint back into the store? Usually, I am given a telephone call first, at which time I kind of pre-qualify what I am able to do. I give them the same general caveats I stated in the above post. Given the serial number from the HD paint sticker, I can give an educated guess over the phone after bringing up the formula. This often saves a futile trip back to the store.

Further, the new, relatively liberal exchange policy from Atlanta, would actually allow him to exchange his paint for a new color if we can't alter the paint to his satisfaction.
Posted 2018-09-12T06:20:00+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+