Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Lighting trim for old recessed shower ceiling fixture

I have an old (20 yrs) recessed light fixture above a shower. Some time ago the plastic lens ( diffuser ) on the light trim became discolored and ugly and so I removed it. The light still works fine. The ceiling is quite high above the shower, at least ten feet high, but I feel I should replace the lens/trim so as to keep moisture out of the recessed fixture. I want to know how to find a replacement lens/diffuser/trim that will fit that fixture.

There is no manufacturer label visible inside the fixture, and the top (attic side) of the fixture is in a tight space that is incredibly difficult to access. I think it would be a major project to get in the attic and remove and replace the whole fixture. The old lens / diffuser was mounted on a cylindrical plastic piece that slipped tightly into the fixture with a friction fit. The OD of the plastic cylinder (= ID of the fixture) is 5 3/4 inches, and the cylinder slipped into the fixture to a depth of about (maybe) an inch or so. I have looked online and haven't seen anything that looks like this piece. Seems like a replacement lens with a 5 3/4 inch diameter cylindrical mount would be about five dollars worth of plastic, so I would really like to be able to buy such a piece somewhere.

I'd appreciate any advice that helps me find a new lens/diffuser for this fixture.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-30T19:30:16+0000  by Pincher Pincher

Hey Pincher,

Thanks for your question and stopping by here on the community!

From what it sounds like, you indeed have an old trim judging from your description. We had a user trying to remove his trim and did it successfully, his shower trim and post is shown/linked below.

light.jpg

I would agree with you and not opt for replacing the entire housing if the can is still working. You are right too in needing a new trim though to protect it from moisture. You have a 6" housing, which will be the trim as well.

If you have still saved (maybe???) the old lens, or you just remember how it came off, you can come into your local Home Depot and get a shower-rated trim. While this also includes LED retrofit trims (they save you a lot of money in the long run), make sure they are moisture-resistant.

The key is making sure that the springs that held them in look like the ones shown below.

springs on recessed trims

Once you find a replacement shower trim that fits, make sure you get an efficient bulb (unless its the LED trims, which have the light already in them). These types of trims need a good, bright light to diffuse through the glass, so make sure the light has a high color temp. if it is fluorescent, LED, or incandescent.

One type of shower trim we carry is sold below, and works great for most housings. If the trim you buy doesn't work, save the box and receipt, and you can return it back to the store within 90 days for a full refund.

Commercial Electric 6 in. White Shower Trim

Please let me know your progress on your light, and feel free to ask any addtional questions,

Joseph

Posted 2013-10-02T19:26:59+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+