Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Lithium battery life

Have they improved at all?

I purchased two Ryobi tools with lithium batteries a couple months apart about 3 years ago. The first battery failed a week or so out of the one year warranty. The second one followed right after it was out of warranty. I expected lithium to be better than NiCad but not when they fail like this.

I've been using NiCad for many years and even though they have a 2 year general life span, after that they go bad slowly and can be used for many years. These lithiums died suddenly as soon as the one year warranty was up and could not be used at all.

Considering the price/life figures they certainly are not worth the cost. I would not buy another lithium battery unless they have improved considerably since then.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-24T16:45:32+0000  by xtvman xtvman

Lithium Ion batteries are continually improving - so each new breed is a little better than the last.  I too had the same situation and jumped to the new 18 volt One+Lithium Ion shortly after I discovered that my charger wasn't working well.

We have a great article all about these batteries from Chris here on the community. Please read through all the information before making your decision.  Litium-Ion Batteries post

Posted 2013-11-24T18:01:02+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+