Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Looking For Wall Mounted Bracket Arm

I am looking for a bracket, but am not having much luck in finding a reasonably priced solution. I am hoping someone out there has an idea or bracket in mind that will work for me.

I am looking to mount a 7" diameter hemispherical dome horizontally from a wall (in order to hold a hat). The domes have a hole drilled in the top of each, so I am looking for a 90° arm that will extend from a wall bracket  and then hold the dome up. The dimensions I am looking for are about 4"-6" for the arm that extends from the wall and 5"-6" for the portion that goes vertically to hold the dome up.

While not a perfect match, please reference the picture below for a rough idea of what I mean by the mounting arm, in case my above description is not clear.

Also, the wall bracket will be attached to a plexiglass wall, so I would prefer a bracket on the wall to distribute the stress over a little larger of an area. (rather than an arm that just directly screws into the wall)

Thanks everyone for any ideas you may have!Wall Mounted Arm
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-20T13:56:41+0000  by BoeG BoeG
Hi Boe,

While a hanger exactly like your image doesn't appear to be easily available, the link shows three ideas that you might be able to make work.

Your other option ... maybe your best option is to fabricate several.

Your image could certainly be produced in a coated material by a local metal shop.
Posted 2015-08-20T14:44:22+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, it would seem that custom fabrication may be my best approach. I am going to need about 50 of these, so I was just hoping to be able to grab them off a shelf for cheap and get to work, but it seems that might not be doable.

Thanks again.
Posted 2015-08-20T21:39:53+0000  by BoeG
As Pat said, fabrication might be your best bet.  Another option would be to check with companies that supply fixtures to retail stores.  Somebody has to make a hat display.

If appearance doesn't matter, then you could use iron pipe fittings.  You'd need a flange, a couple of nipples, an elbow, and a cap.  Drill a hole in the cap to accept your "dome" either threading the cap or through bolting it.

There are two clear plastics in common use - acrylics (e.g., Plexiglass) and polycarbonate (e.g., Lexan).  Acrylics are VERY challenging to drill because the drill bit wants to grab which often cracks the acrylic.  If you haven't drilled into acrylic, I would strongly suggest buying a piece or two and practice.  It really needs to be firmly clamped to something solid, like a piece of wood.  Polycarbonate is much more forgiving.  In either case, you can't use a wood or sheet metal screw.  You'll need to drill through the material and use a machine screw, washer, and nut.
Posted 2015-08-21T02:57:52+0000  by Adam444
Your Welcome BoeG,

Hey, don't overlook this as an opportunity to start a cottage industry.

We've all heard the English proverb, "Necessity is the mother of invention."

If you need it, chances are very likely someone else does too.

And internet sales tool might make it easy for you to locate those in need.

Don't forget to file a patent if you choose this route.

Follow up and let us know how you solved this one.
Posted 2015-08-25T20:28:43+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question