Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Looking for a chain saw

I am trying to find a chain saw that I can use to cut down small trees. I am unable to start a gas powered chain saw. Which chain saw would be best and that could hold up for decent amount of time with a fairly easy start?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-04-06T22:43:05+0000  by Patricia79 Patricia79

Hello Patricia79,

There are a number of small chainsaws available which would be great for the task. You have the option for either Cordless Chainsaws (battery powered) or Electric Chainsaws (plugged in). If you're focusing only on small brush or scrub trees, an 8" to 14" chainsaw should be more than capable. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted 2018-04-09T15:23:30+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL
Hi Patricia79.

Either a cordless or electric chainsaw will meet your requirement of easy start. 

Electric chainsaws will have the lightest weight for their power, and will run continuously as long as you can.  A very popular model which is stocked in most stores is a Homelite 14" bar model
UT43103A that weighs only 8.5 pounds.  It has the power you need to cut down small trees, and is very affordable.  The only downside is the long cord that follows you wherever you want to go.

Cordless models will weigh a bit more for their power simply due to the battery.  They will also cost more than electrics with similar capability and run time will be finite.  To cut down trees rather than just having a pruning tool, I recommend at least a 14" saw.  One good example, also stocked in most stores, is the Ryobi 40 volt 14" model RY40511
The battery and charger add considerably to the cost, but frees you from that cord.  Run time should be good for at least 1 small tree project at a time, and battery recharge time is quick.  At 10.5 pounds, it does weigh more than the Homelite.

Both electric and cordless models will save you maintenance time, as there is no gas, spark plugs, air filter or fuel filter that you find on an gas powered saw.

Chris.

Posted 2018-04-10T14:09:12+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+