Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Looking to make my lawn Nice and Thick and Greener as well as getting RID of clovers and weeds

Hello, I have a little under an acre of land with grass, I try to fertilize at least twice a year.  Right now my yard is mosltly grass but I now have a lot of what looks like clovers as well as weeds mixed into the grass.  How do I go about getting rid of the clovers and weeds?  I also want to make my grass greener and fuller, should I drop seeds down over the existing grass water and then fertilize?  On the back part of my property there's hard dirt what do I use to turn it so that I can plant grass or should I just lay fertilizer over the dirt which may bring the grass back?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-09-28T14:26:59+0000  by Samad Samad

A strong stand of grass is the best defense against weeds.  The first place to start might be a soil test, so that you can make fact based decisions about any amendments your soil may need.  Your local county extension service can point you in the right direction and there's always the Internet.  It's important to fertilize but it's more important to use the right kind of fertilizer.  Unfortunately many commercial fertilizers contain lots of nitrogen which promotes green top growth that looks pretty but doesn't do a lot for the grass plants overall.  If you have cool season grass, a lot of people mow it much too short.  Keeping it at 2½" - 3" is healthier for the grass and the taller grass blocks sunlight from reaching the soil, making it harder for weed seeds to germinate.

In addition to fertilizer, you will probably need to use a pre-emergent in the spring and perhaps a dose or two of a weed killer throughout the season.  While there are combination "weed and feed" products on the market, sometimes it's better to use separate products to better control exactly what's going on your yard.

Water is also, obviously, very important but with a yard as large as yours, it's nearly impossible to water it properly without an irrigation system.  If you do water, water deeply but infrequently which encourages deep root growth.

Posted 2016-09-28T21:46:41+0000  by Adam444
Hey Samad.

I see that you live in Jeresy. If you want to overseed your cool season grass then now is the time to do it. Don't fight with your weeds now because you cant seed for a month after putting down a post-emergent weed killer. Those are warm season weeds that are going to die once it gets cold anyways. Put down fescue if there is shade in the area. Consider perennial rye grass for sunny areas that frequently get a lot of foot traffic. Kentucky Bluegrass is a good option to blend with the previously mentioned 2 grasses, as it is a spreading, self repairing cool season grass that will continue to spread throughout the lawn to help it through troubled times.

Throw down a starter fertilizer with your seed. Its high Phosphorus will help the grass develop a strong root system to help it through the summer heat next year.
Posted 2016-09-29T14:42:44+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+