Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Loose split rails in in rail and post fence

The posts on my 15 year old split & rail fence have loosed in a couple of places, plus the rails were in only about 1 inch on each end into the rails when it was installed.  Now I have some rails that keep slipping out and falling down.  I'm an old lady who is looking for a work-around solution to tightening the structure myself without having to dig replace anything.  I've come up with afew solutions that I need advice on .... so please tell me what you think would work best, and maybe how to go about it..
1 - Use lenths of wire to U- loop around each rail and screw into both sides of the top rail at each junction.  Don't know exactly what kind of wire or scres to use in this application but I image it would work to keep the rails in place.
2 - Use vinyl coated wire stretched from one end to the other and pull the fence pieces together via a toggle.  This would maybe be more expensive and leave one end leaning in slightly ... any perhaps wouldn't work for the full run as only a couple of posts have loosened.

3 - dig around the posts a bit to allow for filling with a concrete mix to keep the posts from moving.  Screw on thin boardextenders to the rails whereever they are just shy of a tight fit.

Thank you

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-13T19:13:31+0000  by nk215 nk215

Hi nk215,

Thank you for your question.  

My uncle back in Minnesota had spit rail fencing on his horse property.  He had a simple solution to this problem.  It is temporary but it works.  He would use wooden wedges to be placed into any gap at the fence post to tighten up the rail. 

For the posts, you could use some pressure treated lumber cut into a wedge and pound the wedges into the ground next to the posts that are loose.  It does require a little bit of labor but it should last you a while.

The best solution of course is to just replace the worn out fencing, but that can be costly if you are on a budget.  Be sure to take some pictures of your project and share them with the rest of the community.  Please let us know if we can be of further assistance to you.

Posted 2013-01-15T18:50:21+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Thanks RicksPicks ... the drawing attachment helped me to see this easy solution.  I'll give this a try instead of the other ideas I had as it is the most cost effective.  I have several lengths dof scrap lumber that Home Depot let me have a couple of years ago that would work just great for the ground as they are from shipping pallets.  I

Posted 2013-01-15T19:11:19+0000  by nk215

Hi nk215,

That is great.  I am glad I could help.  Be sure to click the little hammer showing that you approve of my answer to your question.  Thank you again for your reply.

Posted 2013-01-15T19:14:14+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+