Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

Low Slope Roof Leak

We have a low slope roof over our sunroom and car port. There appears to be a silver coating over a black coating when I climb up to check it out. Some of the areas have bubbles and in some areas the silver coating is gone and I can see the rough black coating below.

We are getting drops of water falling from three areas in a 4 ft line in our carport; seams in the plywood ceiling. My guess is that some area of the roof coating above has degraded to allow water in.

How do I address this? Is this something for the pros or can I apply some coating above and see if that works?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-22T22:35:46+0000  by thebigad thebigad

Hi thebigad,

It certainly sounds like a failed roof coating, I would recommend power washing the roof to remove any loose
and failing material, then re-coating with a product such as Henry's Solar Flex White Roof Coating.

This is a latex product with will be compatible with any previously used product on the roof. Follow the products instructions for application. In most cases this product can be applied with a roller.

Mike
Posted 2015-03-23T18:08:23+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Outstanding recommendation Mike!

You know, thebigad, once you've sealed the exterior surface, re-coating the interior ceiling and walls will complete the repair.

Try this:

1) Test the wallboard to ensure it has dried ... a ceiling fan and running your air conditioning will help the moisture evaporate;
2) Primer all damaged surfaces with an oil-based primer like Zinsser Cover Stain; and
3) Use water-based wall and ceiling paint to complete the project.

While this may take an extra day to complete, you'll return your home to pristine condition and enjoy the space for years to come.

NOTE:
The roof coating Mike recommends is outstanding, and will require re-coating about every seven years.

Posted 2015-03-24T15:15:42+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Water causes more damage to a home than almost anything.

In your case, the fact that the water comes inside the building when it rains is a strong indicator that the repair will be outside the building, on the roof.

It is good that you've identified the area where the leak is occurring. That is the first step toward repairing the leak.

Inside the house, measure from an exterior wall to the most visible water damage on the ceiling. This will give you an estimate of the location that needs repair on the roof. Then use that measurement up on the roof to help identify the repair area.

This video describes repairing shingles on a sloped roof.

Stopping your leak will be similar ... spread Henry 208R over the leaking area.

Then use Henry Solar Flex White Roof Coating, as Mike recommends.

Have a look.

If you decide to proceed, use a spotter and if needed, a safety harness; proceed with caution.

Posted 2015-08-27T16:39:31+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+