Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Lutron Skylark with Hunter fan, won't control speed

I purchased a Hunter Viente 52 in. Roman Bronze Ceiling Fan Model # 21322 and a Lutron Skylark 1.5 Amp Single Pole 3-Speed Combination Fan and Light Control Model # S2-LFSQH-WH.

On the wall switch the light dimmer works fine, however the fan control will only work on the medium setting.  All other 3 settings on the switch (off, low & high) turn the fan off.  When the wall switch is set to medium, I can control the fan speed through the pull chain.  

What did I do wrong?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-21T16:27:58+0000  by bobmc bobmc

Is the speed control on the fan set to the highest speed?  Sometimes it takes a couple of pulls to get it right.

Posted 2014-01-22T02:45:40+0000  by Adam444
Yes the fan is set to the highest speed and it makes no difference. I'm able to pull the chain and scroll through high, medium, low and off. I've tried all combinations and still no luck.
Posted 2014-01-22T03:36:57+0000  by bobmc

Maybe this is a silly question but you do have two wires going to the fan - one for the fan and one for the light (plus neutral and ground)?

Beyond that, it sounds like the control is working properly.  Might want to give Lutron a call and see what they have to say. 800-523-9466.  Or just exchange it.

Posted 2014-01-22T05:46:04+0000  by Adam444

Hey bobmc,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Adam444 is absolutely right in regards to making sure there are two separate wires for the light and fan. If you have only one speed, then the wiring together of the hot wires for the light and fan could be combined, either in the ceiling or switch box.

You'll first need to make sure the power is off and that all wire connections coming from, leading to, and above the ceiling fan are all connected properly.

If you read the instructions from Lutron, and/or contacted them (which I strongly recommend, they have a terrific support team), your fan/light control should work properly.

If it doesn't, something in your Hunter Viente Roman Bronze ceiling fan could be the issue with the switch. However, if you've already tested it through the speeds sans the light control, then that wouldn't be your culprit.

Track all your wires, and make sure they are being connected properly. If this still doesn't work, you can exchange at your nearest Home Depot with receipt.

Keep us updated on your progress,

Joseph

Posted 2014-01-22T16:21:36+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Adam444, not a silly question and I appreciate any and all help with this since it's driving me crazy. I can confirm that I have 2 wires going to the fan, 1 for fan, 1 for light (along with the other 2 for neutral and ground)

Joseph_HD_ATL, thanks for your info. I have read and re-read the instructions from Lutron and can confirm the wires are correct and as you said, I've successfully tested the fan.

I think I will take your advice and excahnge the switch at my local home depot to detirmine if the switch is faulty.

Thank you both for your assistance, I will keep you updated.

Posted 2014-01-22T19:25:39+0000  by bobmc

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+