Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Luxury Vinyl Planks

I am replacing a carpet with Trafficmaster traditional oak amber vinyl planks. The door jams and all the molding are about 7/16 above the subfloor. I would like to keep as small a gap as possible between the door jam and vinyl planks. What can I lay down as a subfloor to raise the height of the new flooring? This will be installed in a home that is only a few years old, with subfloors that are in great condition. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-12-12T18:29:44+0000  by zeke83 zeke83

Hi zeke83,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

If you are installing vinyl planks, then using quarter round moulding where the existing base molding will cover the plank edges. This has to be done to ensure the floor successfully floats over the subfloor.

I read the installation manual for your TrafficMaster Traditional Oak Amber Vinyl plank flooring. I don't know why they didn't mention placing the quarter round moulding over the flooring's edge after installation of the planks.

But, it is a necessity. Without it, the planks can unshift, and having that rough gap looks bad and unsightly. Plus, that gap (at least where the existing moulding is) will be eliminated through placing the quarter round directly over it.

As for the door jam itself, you have several options for that area. While it is possible to cover the entire floor with tile backerboard or plywood, you can raise that small spot near the jamb via floor leveling compound. The planks will allow up to 1/8" of uneven space within one square foot. 

That means the area near the doorway can slightly be raised. If any gaps are still present, another solution can be wood filler and sanded to eliminate it.

For any further questions, let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-12-12T20:44:03+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
I can't find the quarter round trim at homedepot
Posted 2016-12-13T15:50:02+0000  by zeke83
I should be more clear...I can't find trafficmaster 1/4 round. I see they carry other brands, but the colors don't match. 
Posted 2016-12-13T16:14:43+0000  by zeke83
Hi zeke83,

I checked online and I hope this link below helps you find the color you need, not sure why the TrafficMaster quarter round is showing as discontinued.

laminate quarter round molding

Posted 2016-12-16T17:20:00+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+