Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Customers Show Off

Made a Mouse Trap Cheese Board

I bought the Victor mouse trap boards from Home Depot and made this cheese board. To summarize, I cut 6 brand new traps in half and glued to an oak board. Then cut and shaped and sanded the board. If you want to see my pictorial/tutorial check out my website:

Mouse Trap Cheese Board

I guess a follow up question would be the finish. I ended up using butch block mineral oil to finish, but I wonder if I could also use the non-toxic Zinsser Shellac spray? I'm simply serving food on top and not doing any cutting or chopping. The mouse traps are a soft wood, but again, I'm not doing any cutting or chopping.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-06-25T13:15:25+0000  by FourOaks FourOaks

Good morning FourOaks,

Thanks for joining us here on the community!

I must say, that is a GREAT design for a cheese serving board! All the ones I have seen were very plain and non-descript, so giving a fun and creative spin is really amazing!

Personally, I would only use a product that is rated for food grade. Even though this is for personal/family use, it's a better idea to use a butcher block oil or similar product.

The Zinsser Shellac is non-toxic meaning it's safe to work with it during application, but not so much for placing food and eating off its surface. So for safety, use the wood block oil.

Your tray looks fantastic, if you have any further projects you'd like to share with us, please feel free to post them as well!

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-06-25T14:10:45+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
I'd suggest using Behlen's Salad Bowl Finish.  It goes on like an oil finish (wiping) and builds like a varnish (to a degree) but dries to non-toxic finish.  You'll find it in woodworking stores (like Woodcraft and Rockler) and plenty of places online.

I would suggest testing it (or any other solvent based finish) on a scrap to make sure the paint (or whatever they use for the logo printing) isn't damaged by the finish.
Posted 2016-06-26T02:00:15+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+