Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Indoor Decor

Make Your Own Wooden American Flag

There are a lot of pieces to this project, 161 to be exact. Therefore, this project's level may be more intermediate than easy for the average DIYer. However, once you have all your cuts it’s pretty simple to build. So, if you're up for the challenge, gather your tools and
materials and follow the steps below to create a wooden decorative American Flag.

Materials

2 – 2” x 4” x 8’

2 – 1” x 2” x 8’ furring strip

1 – ¼” x 24” x 48” plywood or hardboard

Sandpaper

Wood Glue

Paint – Red, White, Blue, and Black

Picture Hanger (optional)

Tools

Miter Saw

Circular Saw

Safety Glasses

Carpenters Square

Clamps

Measuring Tape

Pencil

Step 1

Set up your miter saw. Measure ½” from the blade and clamp a stop block to the fence. This will insure all of the blocks are the same thickness.

Step 2

Cut 156 - ½” thick pieces from the 2” x 4”’s. I cut more than that because I found that some of them had knots so I didn’t want to use them for my flag.

Sand any rough edges cause by the saw. They don’t have to be completely smooth just no splinters sticking out.

Step 3

Now it’s time to paint all of the pieces.

You’re going to paint 64 pieces RED, 57 pieces WHITE, and 35 pieces BLUE. Making sure to leave one side raw so that the glue will adhere better. Let dry completely.

Step 4

Layout all the pieces on the ¼” plywood and make a mark 1/8” outside of the pieces. This is where you will use the carpenter square to mark your cut lines. It should be right around 19 5/8” x 42 1/8” give or take. ** 2 x 4’s should all be the same size but I find that some can be a hair off and when you have 156 pieces all together it can add up.

Step 5

Cut the back to size and then cut the 1” x 2” to size to fit tight around the plywood. I used 45 deg. corners but if you would like you can make the corners with straight cuts also known as a butt joint. Glue the frame and back together, making sure that the clamps do not bow the frame inward. This will make the pieces not fit correctly. Let dry completely.

Step 6

Sand the frame making sure that you have all the joints smooth and all the extra glue removed. Paint the frame leaving the back raw so that the glue will adhere.

Step 7

Once the frame is dry layout all of the pieces. I laid mine out with the grain of the wood going opposite every other vertical row so that it made it look like the flag was waving in the wind. 

Step 8

When your happy with how it looks remove 2-3 vertical rows from one end making sure that you keep them in order. Apply enough glue for one row and then lay each piece down pushing and wiggling it back and forth so that the glue spreads out a bit. Continue till you have 4-5 rows left and then start from the other side. That way your last row will be away from the frame. (I speak from experience.)

Make sure and keep it lying flat while the glue is drying.

All that’s left is to figure out where you’re going to show it off. You can set it on your mantle or hang it on a wall by adding some picture hangers.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-06-22T23:11:36+0000  by Christine_HD_OC Christine_HD_OC

Wow, nice project :) 
Posted 2016-07-15T09:15:17+0000  by Aaron33

Greetings Christine,

The Wooden American Flag is a great project to kick off the outdoor living season! 

There is no better way to display the symbol of our liberty, freedom and the love of our great country than showing the colors with a hand crafted wooden flag…you are the Betsy Ross of woodcrafters! 

Your project shows great pride and patriotism, well done!  Maureen 

Posted 2017-06-06T13:33:32+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+