Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Making Art on Plywood & Scrap Lumber

Greetings all,

I've done some posts in past few years regarding projects like woodburning and getting your art supplies, and this one isn't too far from that subject.

We've got a lot of scrap plywood/lumber laying around our (messy) workshop here in the office, and it gave me a golden opportunity to not just be creative for the sake of it, but also to make some pretty sweet gifts for family and friends.

Since plywood as a substrate is simple and easy to work with, it's beginning to be my choice to work with....even more so than birch panels or stretched canvas. While I love painting or drawing on them, plywood is typically a cheaper choice that works just as well, if not better.

Having at least a 1/2" thickness works well and is sturdy enough to hang provided you have the right items to hang it.

At least for the pics of my recent work below, almost each one varied from another. Sharpie on one, woodburning on another, no two the same. It all started with scrap pieces of plywood:smileyvery-happy:

The key is having the right materals and tools. Having a good jigsaw and an orbital sander will be your best friend to alter, smooth, and prepare the surface to your liking. The workshop also has a great compound saw to cut, which saved me a tremendous amount of time.

Below are the tools I used, and they really did and will do a great job for altering the plywood.

4.5-Amp Jig Saw2.4 Amp 1/4-Sheet Pad Sander15-Amp 10 in. Compound Miter Saw

As for the final works themselves, I've decided to post a few below. Maybe these can inspire you to be creative yourself. It all starts with a sheet of plywood.

The image below shows why unfinished plywood works so well on pen drawings.

Show us any of your woodworking skills here on our forums! Or just chat here or on another post.

Have a great day everyone,

Joseph

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-18T22:01:44+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL Joseph_HD_ATL

I want to be able to cut patterns out of wood, for instance, crosses and such. I have often thought a scroll saw is the best option for this, would  you agree?

Thanks.

Posted 2014-01-28T14:56:23+0000  by SureeB

Hey SureeB,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Yes,  you can absolutely use a scroll saw to assist in cutting out patterns out of wood! In fact, this will give you more intricate cuts versus any other saw.

Be sure to click on the image of this great saw below so you can read more information on it.

Scroll Saws

Just like the jigsaw I used, scroll saws work easily and can cut through various substrates. They also require to have a hole cut slightly larger than the saw itself so that the blade can make cuts without going to the margin of the wood.

Be sure whenever you are buying any new tool to read the manufacturers instructions so you can use it safely.

If you haven't had experience with using a scroll saw or other cutting tools, be sure to experiment on scraps of lumber first so you can get a good grasp of how to use it.

Let me know if you have any further questions, and be sure to post any awesome projects you'll be doing with your patterns!

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2014-01-31T15:45:35+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+