Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Making a base to mount a wall decal and hang

I have a fabric wall decal that is 60" by 40". I wanted to make a base of slabs of wood at those dimensions or just slightly bigger. I was thinking od staining them also. I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this. It'll be a hanging piece so I wouldn't want it to be too heavy. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-05T19:39:29+0000  by amonz amonz

Hey amonz,

Thanks for joining us here on the community!

Using wood for supporting your decal is a great idea.

First off, you'd need to see how and where you can successfully attach the wood to the decals. You have options of fastening it via staples or screws. If you decide to adhere it, make sure that the glue will be strong enough for this and it won't damage the fabric.

As for the wood, using 1 inch x 2 inch furring strips are inexpensive and work great for projects like this. Click on the image of it below for more information.

1 x 2 x 8 Furring Strip

Before fastening it, you can stain it and finish it with the color/coat of your choice! Just make sure that the wood you use is straight and solid so that it can hang effectively.

Did you have any particular questions regarding fastening them? Depending on how the fabric is made and how much it weighs will determine how the wood can be fastened securely to it.

Please update us here with your next step, and always ask us for any further information.

Joseph

Posted 2013-12-07T16:18:05+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+