Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Making your own wood filler

One of the problems with using wood filler is finding the right color match.

The solution is right in the Paint department of your local THD: 220 grit sandpaper and cyanoacrylate (CA) glue - commonly refered to as SuperGlue...

Any of the brands will work, just don't use the gel versions.

Sand a piece of your scrap wood or save the dust from your sanding of the piece you're working on. Collect it onto a piece of hardboard (tempered side).

Once you have a good pile of it, flood it with the glue, plenty of it. Mix it around with a popsicle stick. You definitely don't want it dry or it will cure to quickly to be used.

Working quickly, spread your slurry mix of glue and sanding dust into your cracks and crevices. Push it down into the spaces. Clean off as much of the liquid as possible to make sanding easier later. Even very wet, you'll have to work quickly.

Once the piece is completely dry, just sand away the excess glue on the surface.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-11-06T14:37:23+0000  by Paul Paul

Great post Paul I honestly never considered that. Keep the tips coming :robothappy:

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Posted 2011-11-06T18:12:51+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

That's a great idea Paul, I remember in high school we used the same process but with traditional wood glue, the only cyanoacrylate around then was Super Glue, and no one even thought of even trying that stuff. Thanks for posting!

Posted 2011-11-10T14:36:32+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

I do the same thing but I use any clear drying glue like elmers white. The plus side is it gives you more time to work with and Elmers is cheaper than superglue. The down side is that it requires a longer drying time before sanding. I try to never be in a hurry when I am doing wood working. Good tip though.

Posted 2012-01-05T18:32:51+0000  by jimi_b

Great tip.

How funny that I run across this tip today. I was just teaching the same thing to my daughter a few days ago.

I started using this technique many years ago while I was making a project out of purple heart wood. Obviously I couldn't find a wood filler in the same color so I had to improvise. It worked out really good so I've been doing it ever since.

I actually have a bunch of small containers of all different type of saw dust from all of the species of wood that I work with. Everything from purple heart, mahogany, and wenge just to mention a few. That way I don't have to scramble to scrap up enough sawdust to make the filler. I have a piece of melamine that I mix the filler on. You can use a scraper to clean it and reuse the same piece over and over.  

I have never used CA glue but it seams like a real time saver. I will have to try it the next time I am in need for some wood filler.  

Thanks again for the great tip.

Posted 2012-02-01T17:19:26+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+