Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Martha Stewart Clay Potter base/ finish coat mixing of colors.

Hi,

My question is about the Martha Stewart Clay Potter paints. I would like a color that is darker than Heron, but lighter than Harbor. Could I use Faded Ink for my base and Harbor for the finish coat? Or Kerry Blue Terrier for the base and Heron for the finish to get a color in between?

Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-10T13:10:33+0000  by tyson82 tyson82

Hello tyson82!

In two earlier threads, we discuss making a sample board using different base color and MS Potter's Clay topcoat to experiment with colors.

This product is a unique blend of both the base color and the Potter's Clay topcoat ... both listed on the back of the color card.

Click the link to jump to one discussion and then use the links on that page to jump to the full, six-page product dialogue which includes videos.

A general rule: As you lighten your base color, your topcoat will appear lighter too.

The bottom line ... you'll need to invest is several half-pint color samples, a can of Potter's Clay, and a two-foot square of repair sheetrock to experiment with your colors.

Posted 2013-10-10T18:59:11+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

hanks for the reply. I would have tried to find previous threads but didnt find a search function on thee forums. Unfortuanately, the guy behind the paint desk at my local store told me the opposite: that the darker base would be better with the lighter top coat. I have already bought my materials. hopefully it will come out alright.

Thanks

Posted 2013-10-10T19:53:42+0000  by tyson82

Fantastic tyson82!

Sounds like you're way ahead of the game!

As we discussed: A lighter base coat will lighten the top coat ... conversely, a darker base coat will darken the top coat.

Even though it sounds like you're moving toward success, I would still strongly recommend you try a sample board before beginning the project on the full wall.

Guessing your way through color combinations will only lead to surprise ... hopefully pleasant!

Thanks for the follow-up and let us know how your project develops!

Posted 2013-10-10T20:16:29+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+