Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Martha Stewart Lightstrokes - HELP!

I am considering doing the lightstrokes faux finish from Martha Stewart on an accent wall =in our office (10x10). If it goes well, I am considering doing another accent wall that's much larger in our home.

I considered the Venetian Plaster, but it looks to be too much work and too time-consuming. Lightstrokes seems to give the same depth and dimension, without all the work (and looks simpler). I have sponge painted before, this looks to be easier.

Question: Can you have any color be "Lightstrokes" or just the ones in the brochure?

Question: IS it as easy as in the brochure? From my understanding, you paint the wall once & let dry overnight. Then the next day, you paint a column, swirl with the texture brush, then paint another column, swirl, etc etc.

Question: Why are there no posts on this (or how-to videos)? All I could find was ones on precious metals!

HELP! I have next weekend only to do this project! (As the kids will be out of the house and out of the way!) :smileyhappy:

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-02-13T00:07:32+0000  by bnanakat bnanakat

Hello.:smileyhappy:  Thanks for stopping by - we are glad you found us.

In my opinion the "Lightstrokes" technique and the Venetian Plaster application are equal in time and effort.  Both require two coat application and involves a tool to achieve the final appearance.  Both can only be mixed in the colors available with the chart

• The Venetian Plaster has that "old world" look and is applied with a 6" patching knife.
  • The Lightstroke's application requires either a paint brush (my favorite) or a round texture brush.

Both are very forgiving and it's hard to make a mistake.  The only concern I have with the Lightstrokes process is that you need to make sure you don't get too far ahead of yourself with rolling on the 18" columns.  I have found that the Winter atmosphere is a lot drier and will cause the paint to "set up" faster - reducing the time you have to work the design.

I will post the directions below for the Lightstrokes technique for others who may not be familiar with the product.

lightstrokes.JPG

Posted 2012-02-13T16:35:44+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Hello Bnanakat!

Kevin did a great job of incorporating Martha's application instructions.

Unlike Kevin, I like the round stipple brush for this product. Other than stippled ceilings, you rarely see the unique pattern this brush creates ... although you frequently see the flat cross-hatched strokes from a regular brush.

If you try this technique, pay particular attention to the special notes ... allow the first coat to dry overnight, rotate the stipple brush in the same direction (clock-wise or counter clock-wise) throughout the project, and minimize overlap between columns.

The answer to your other questions:

1) Lightstrokes is currently made in only 21 colors;

2) Yes, it is just as easy as the instructions ... follow them and you'll find great success; and

I particularly like this product with the stipple brush as an accent wall ... with three complimentary adjacent walls.

When your guests arrive and are WOWed by your handy-work, come on back and share with Community Members.

Posted 2012-02-16T17:45:51+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I hope you don't mind me jumping on the thread but I have another question about the Lightstrokes range.

My wife and I like the "Rue Green" color but are only intending on painting the walls flat without any fancy brushwork. Does one have to be extra careful with the second coat to ensure it is even, perhaps just using vertical up and down roller work?

Would it be a better idea to get the "Rue Green" put into a regular Behr eggshell base or would the color and metallic look not come out right?

Posted 2012-02-16T18:14:28+0000  by Sir_Eccles

Hello Sir Eccles,

Thanks for the follow-up.

Based upon your statement that, "My wife and I like the "Rue Green" color but are only intending on painting the walls flat without any fancy brushwork," I would recommend having your Paint Associate help you identify a color similar to Rue Green.

The range of colors available at The Paint Pit is almost limitless!

Take time to discuss your project with your Paint Associate and then try several testers on your wall to ensure you capture the exact look you seek.

NOTE: Trying to adapt product for an unintended purpose often creates unfavorable results. If you want "Flat," simply buy flat and spend your time identifying the exact color you want ... it will simplify your project and ensure success in your outcome.

Posted 2012-02-16T18:56:20+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
I also would like do do lightstrokes but i am having a difficult time finding a small round texture brush. Where can purchase one?
Posted 2012-03-25T15:28:50+0000  by amsyverson

Hello Amsyverson!

The "small round texture brush" is what we typically call a stipple brush.

It is commonly used to create the flower pattern on ceilings and is sold with the sheetrock finishing supplies in Building Materials.

At The Store, the brush is most often located in the same bay as the sheetrock mud trays and the mud trowels ... usually across the aisle from full sheets of sheetrock.

Ask your Building Materials Associate and they will help you locate one.

Special Request: Since we currently do not have a visual sample produced by a member of The Community, please do all of us the service of sharing your results in photos and describe what you find works best ... Thank You!

Posted 2012-03-27T13:44:08+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

The brush is a sheet rock brush..cheapest was on Amazon.com  around 13.00..everywhere else it was over 20.00 and up.

Posted 2012-11-25T22:21:42+0000  by welovetheUSA

Hello WeLoveTheUSA!

Thanks for joining the conversation.

You're exactly right! The stippling brush is used with sheetrock.

Commonly, it is used with thinned sheetrock mud to make a "flower" pattern on the ceiling.

However, most creative souls will look at a brush like this and find numerous non-traditional applications.

stippling brush.jpg

NOTE: It is most common to saturate the brush tips with the product (sheetrock mud or paint) and then set the brush aside for several minutes before you begin applying your pattern. This allows the bristles to absorb product and begin flexing. If you start without saturating the tips, your pattern will change as you move through the project timeline.

Posted 2012-11-27T14:52:42+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Can I use Martha Stewarts Lightstrokes in a bathroom witha whirlpool bath or woll paint not work well in a humid environment?

Posted 2013-04-14T14:39:01+0000  by jclk

Welcome to our community Jclk,

You can certainly use Martha Stewart Lightstrokes in a bathroom. It will leave you a beautiful satin finish, which is perfect in a bathroom.

Please let us know if you have anymore questions!

Christine :)

Posted 2013-04-15T16:56:37+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+