Sign In to join the community | Help

Martha Stewart Lightstrokes - HELP!

I am considering doing the lightstrokes faux finish from Martha Stewart on an accent wall =in our office (10x10). If it goes well, I am considering doing another accent wall that's much larger in our home.


I considered the Venetian Plaster, but it looks to be too much work and too time-consuming. Lightstrokes seems to give the same depth and dimension, without all the work (and looks simpler). I have sponge painted before, this looks to be easier.


Question: Can you have any color be "Lightstrokes" or just the ones in the brochure?

Question: IS it as easy as in the brochure? From my understanding, you paint the wall once & let dry overnight. Then the next day, you paint a column, swirl with the texture brush, then paint another column, swirl, etc etc.

Question: Why are there no posts on this (or how-to videos)? All I could find was ones on precious metals!


HELP! I have next weekend only to do this project! (As the kids will be out of the house and out of the way!) :smileyhappy:


Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-02-13T00:07:32+0000  by bnanakat bnanakat
Hello bnanakat!

Light Strokes has recently been replaced by Ralph Lauren Suede.

This specialty finish was at The Paint Pit about four-years ago and has just returned.

The texture is more pronounced than Light Strokes and the application is simple as well.

Simply roll the first coat with a 3/8ths nap roller cover and allow to dry.

Then use a stiff bristle three-inch utility brush and random X-strokes down and across the wall.

The trick is to regularly load the brush as you proceed.

Have a look at the display at your local store.
Posted 2014-07-08T17:47:24+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Welcome to our community Brynn!


Thank you for your question. Many people would like to slow the drying time of faux finishes so that they can get the exact look that they want before the paint dries. Many faux finishes (including Lightstrokes) are very thin, so they will dry faster than a thicker paint.


We sell a product called Floetrol that is made for your exact purposes. Many customers of mine use this product for the exact same purposes you have described. It can be found in the paint department at your local Home Depot store.


If you have any more questions, please let us know!


Christine :)

Posted 2013-08-28T16:21:34+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Since this product seems to dry quick, it there a paint thinner that could be added? This could extend the dry time so we could get the appropriate look. If so, what should we look for?



Posted 2013-08-28T01:22:26+0000  by Brynn

Welcome to our community Jclk,


You can certainly use Martha Stewart Lightstrokes in a bathroom. It will leave you a beautiful satin finish, which is perfect in a bathroom.


Please let us know if you have anymore questions!


Christine :)

Posted 2013-04-15T16:56:37+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Can I use Martha Stewarts Lightstrokes in a bathroom witha whirlpool bath or woll paint not work well in a humid environment?

Posted 2013-04-14T14:39:01+0000  by jclk

Hello WeLoveTheUSA!


Thanks for joining the conversation.


You're exactly right! The stippling brush is used with sheetrock.


Commonly, it is used with thinned sheetrock mud to make a "flower" pattern on the ceiling.


However, most creative souls will look at a brush like this and find numerous non-traditional applications.


stippling brush.jpg


NOTE: It is most common to saturate the brush tips with the product (sheetrock mud or paint) and then set the brush aside for several minutes before you begin applying your pattern. This allows the bristles to absorb product and begin flexing. If you start without saturating the tips, your pattern will change as you move through the project timeline.

Posted 2012-11-27T14:52:42+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

The brush is a sheet rock brush..cheapest was on  around 13.00..everywhere else it was over 20.00 and up.

Posted 2012-11-25T22:21:42+0000  by welovetheUSA

Hello Amsyverson!


The "small round texture brush" is what we typically call a stipple brush.


It is commonly used to create the flower pattern on ceilings and is sold with the sheetrock finishing supplies in Building Materials.


At The Store, the brush is most often located in the same bay as the sheetrock mud trays and the mud trowels ... usually across the aisle from full sheets of sheetrock.


Ask your Building Materials Associate and they will help you locate one.


Special Request: Since we currently do not have a visual sample produced by a member of The Community, please do all of us the service of sharing your results in photos and describe what you find works best ... Thank You!


Posted 2012-03-27T13:44:08+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
I also would like do do lightstrokes but i am having a difficult time finding a small round texture brush. Where can purchase one?
Posted 2012-03-25T15:28:50+0000  by amsyverson

Hello Sir Eccles,


Thanks for the follow-up.


Based upon your statement that, "My wife and I like the "Rue Green" color but are only intending on painting the walls flat without any fancy brushwork," I would recommend having your Paint Associate help you identify a color similar to Rue Green.


The range of colors available at The Paint Pit is almost limitless!


Take time to discuss your project with your Paint Associate and then try several testers on your wall to ensure you capture the exact look you seek.


NOTE: Trying to adapt product for an unintended purpose often creates unfavorable results. If you want "Flat," simply buy flat and spend your time identifying the exact color you want ... it will simplify your project and ensure success in your outcome.



Posted 2012-02-16T18:56:20+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question