Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Martha Stewart Precious metal paints on furniture

In a Home Depot magazine ad there is a small console painted Kelp Green. I have looked and asked everywhere for advice on painting furniture and come up with no help. Has anyone painted older (1950's) funiture with this paint and if so how did it look and do you have any tips. Thanks 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-27T21:28:42+0000  by sunshine1818 sunshine1818

Good Day SunShine!

Sounds like a Beatles tune ... doesn't it?!?

We're glad you came to The Community for help!

Today, you can be confident that you can use ML Precious Metals on furniture after the proper preparation (buff sanding, oil-based primer, and application with a ultra smooth foam roller).

Here is a cabinet door done with Martha's Faux Bois graining tool and metalic border in gold.

The young lady who originally asked for help with this paint said she wanted a non-traditional look on her cabinets.

What do you think?

BoisBorder.JPG

Posted 2011-07-28T15:21:36+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I am interested in using this paint on a laminate dresser.  Can I use liquid sandpaper instead of actually sanding the dresser? Alternatively, can I just use primer and then apply the Precious Metal Paints?  Thank you!

Posted 2011-08-25T03:24:56+0000  by carley1021

Hi Carley!

Either method will produce results, but I trust the Zinsser products on surfaces like laminate ... surfaces on which solid adhesion can be difficult to obtain.

Zinsser 123 is a water-based primer that is labeled for adhesion to vinyl, aluminum, and several other surfaces that commonly do not accept primers well. Zinsser Cover Stain is an oil-based primer that sticks to any surface.

The labels on both say, "Sticks to any surface without sanding." But do yourself a favor and buff sand with a 220-grit sandpaper to knock off the gloss, wipe off the sanding dust with a dry terry towel, and then prime.

Liquid sandpaper is a product that will work. But for professional looking results that will not scratch off, my choice would be Cover Stain first, 123 second, any other oil-based primer third, and anything else after that.

Allow the Zinsser to dry for several hours (overnight if the humidity is high) and then apply ML Precious Metal.

Your dresser is certain to get plenty of WOWs from family and friends when completed!

NOTE: ML Precious Metal requires 24-hours between coats. So allow plenty of drying time to complete this project.

Posted 2011-08-25T12:42:22+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+