Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Martha Stewart precious metals paint - corners and baseboards, trim

Hi,

I am having a huge problem with this paint.  I am using the gold in my bedroom.  I have had to prime over the first application and start over, and then decided to wallpaper one wall because it looks so bad with this paint on it and I just can't  bear priming it again.  It seems like overlapping the roller strokes even a little bit leaves visible roller marks.  And they get darker each accidental application, for example, doing the W technique, means there are little three inch cross hatch sections that will have two coats of paint, and going over it again means there are now three coats, still visible and even darker... it looks absolutely awful. However, going over it again the next day just leaves more marks.  I'm very disappointed and upset with it.  Because of the 24 hour waiting period what should have been a two day project has stretched into two weeks. 

I finally got one wall to look relatively ok by thinning the paint a little and using a thicker napped roller, and went in to fill in the areas along the floor and ceiling moulding, and the corners.  Every brush stroke is visible!  I tried a regular small brush, and a foam brush, and every single tiny swipe that overlapped with the roller strokes is visible as a darker stripe.

I am really frustrated!  This paint is $46/gallon at my local HD.  I've used up almost the whole gallon and it looks like a four year old doing finger painting. 

At the moment I guess (besides blowing off steam) I would like to know how you are supposed to finish the edges with this paint.  And is there any way to fix it besides re-priming all along the edges and corners and starting over?

Thanks for any hints you can provide. 

AND, if you know of a different way to get a shimmering golden look PLEASE let me know!  I asked at my local HD if there was anything to add to regular paint to get it to have a glimmer, and they said no, but maybe you are more aware of options.

THANKS,

Catsin

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-03T17:55:30+0000  by Catsin Catsin

Welcome to our community Catsin,

I’m so sorry that you have had a negative experience with this product. :smileysad: My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at The Home Depot in Atlanta. I hope that I am able to help you with your project and turn it into something that you can be proud of. :smileyhappy:

I think the root of your problem is not having enough paint on your roller. PatInPaint has done a wonderful video demonstrating how much paint should be on the roller. With this particular paint, you are going to use way more than your instinct will tell you is right. Click here for the video.

As much as you may not want to, you should prime before you repaint. If you don’t it is possible that the uneven coloring may shine through. It’s best to start with a clean slate.

As for adding a glimmer to your paint there is nothing that we sell that you can add to the paint. In talking with aboveaveragejoe he suggested painting the wall and then, while the paint is still wet, throw glitter on the wall. Make sure to put down plenty of drop cloths, glitter can be messy :smileyhappy:

Happy Painting!

Christine 

Posted 2011-06-04T13:35:45+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

I'm having the same problem....The paint goes on like slimy glue.I'm not sure if I should finish, or cut my losses now.~suzy

Posted 2011-07-24T00:25:10+0000  by suzyhomefaker

I'm having the same problem....The paint goes on like slimy glue.I'm not sure if I should finish, or cut my losses now.~suzy:

Posted 2011-07-24T00:26:31+0000  by suzyhomefaker

SAME PROBLEM!!!!

Can I mix this silver glitter paint with my regular grey paint and apply it together???

Posted 2011-09-14T16:06:17+0000  by mys858

Hey there mys858,

Welcome to our community! My name is Christine and I work at The Home Depot in Atlanta. 

You should not mix regular paint with any specialty paint. Doing so will mess up the balance of the paint and will not give you the look you are going for. 

Just make sure when you are working with the textured paint you load the roller heavily with paint and let it sit for a few minutes before you apply it to the wall. This is going to make a big difference! :smileyhappy:

Happy Painting!

Christine 

Posted 2011-09-19T11:53:40+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+