Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Martha Stewart's Crackle Paint

I used the primer and then the crackle paint.  So far, it does not show any sign of crackling and its almost dry.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-11-17T17:38:53+0000  by yoflo yoflo
I would take it back!!!
Posted 2013-12-25T06:37:12+0000  by willrock08
This product is horrible. I purchased it recently and it does not work even with the primer sealer. It literally ruined an entire stencil job I did. Then I find on HD threads, that customers have been complaining for over two years about the product. You should pull it off the shelf.
Posted 2013-12-19T10:29:05+0000  by Binkerdc
It is very apparent that this product has issues. Aside from the Home Depot representative, there is not one satisfactory result. I would also like to add that the product in no way suggests using MS tools to apply. In fact, it clearly says in the label- apply with a putty knife. It is at best- vague in re to instructions. apart from applying MS primer first, and to apply the crackle product with a putty knife. Thin or thick in re to wanted results. This product should be removed from the shelf. And as far as the representatives rebuttal, "the proof is in the pudding." Your test/opinion vs a multitude of consumers who are at best disappointed after following instructions given on the product. Adding- this is not the only site that has disproved the DYI results. No professional comment necessary, as it is quite obvious, we're not being heard. I will tweet my little heart out.
Posted 2013-12-02T22:37:38+0000  by Katrinalouise
Bought a "Folk Art" brand Crackle, and wasn't entirely pleased with it, as it produced 'lines' more than 'crackles'. Decided to pony up for more expensive, better brand product, and got the Martha Stewart Crackle. Utterly a waste. Red basecoat, crackle, Black topcoat. Not a single crack. At first I thought it was because I did it wrong, or didn't mix the materials as it says. Tried again, still nothing. Two craft boxes wasted now. Will be returning. I do not accept "Martha Stewart Primer" is needed to make it work, if it doesn't say so on the packaging. Any primer or basecoat ought to work, just like every other brand.
Posted 2013-06-22T10:14:43+0000  by Chazus

I used the MS primer and crackle paint and although it did crack, the overall look is horrendous since we put it on with something similar to a palette knife.  It turned out looking like an elementary school art project.

Can you provide any guidance on the best way to remove this from the furniture so I can re-do with regular paint?

Thanks!

Posted 2013-06-08T17:30:30+0000  by absolutjam

Honestly, This product is junk without a special tool.... I don't know why Home Depot insists on trying to sell it and saying it works. Firstly, I've tried it like 789437928 times now, exactly how the instructions say, exactly how my home depot assistant told me to do it, etc. It didn't work, it didn't crackle, I did EVERYTHING right.

However...

I discovered a nifty trick, if anyone does want to buy this product and use it and it actually looks good.

After the primer dries, and you apply the putty, immediately get your blow dryer (note: this works on thin, or thickly applied) and blow dry it! Not the cool shot button, but I used the high setting of my blow dryer and it dried it right out, and it crackled and I applied the primer on top, just as it says! It looks great that way! However, I'm into shiny things... So I used Mod-Podge, or Deco-Podge as some call it, and glazed it over, giving it that shiny effect. 

Hope this helps! 

Posted 2013-06-04T06:19:21+0000  by Calliejune23

This junk doesn't work. Hardly ever buy without checking the reviews, but come on! This is Martha Stewart! Followed directions exactly. Lousy results like everyone else. It's going back and I'm going to Lowe's.

Posted 2013-03-15T22:08:18+0000  by jaybeeramzee

Thanks for the feedback!

It has been my experience that ML Primer is required to create the crackle effect.

In addition, ML recommends you use art spatulas to apply the crackle media.

Several of my customers report using their own technique with poor results.

In "Do It Herself" classes at The Store, we had success using the exact technique and product described on the label.

If you cannot find a product at The Store, HomeDepot.com is a great alternative.

Posted 2013-03-14T14:47:23+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

The Home Depot in Yonkers, NY is currently selling the Martha Stewart crackle paint, but is not selling the Martha Stewart Primer.  When I asked an associate about this I was told that any primer would work with the crackle paint, and so I bought the paint.  

You need to do a better job of informing your own employees about the uses of the products they are selling. 

Posted 2013-03-13T16:37:58+0000  by scadenhead

Hello RedSox!

I am sorry to learn of your problem with ML Crackle.

My recommendation is you use The Home Depot's customer service process described above.

Again, I personally apologize for the problem.

Posted 2012-11-13T15:47:56+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+