Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Match interior stain color

I have 3 pcs of bdrm furniture that purchased about 10 yrs ago from a company that no longer offers the color stain they were done in. I would like to stain 3 more pcs of unfinished furniture in the same color. Does HD offer a color matching service for interior stain? I can remove a small piece of the back of a dresser to supply a sample. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-07-08T13:02:39+0000  by Tawnyfrog Tawnyfrog

Hello Tawnyfrog,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

From what I've seen in my time at The Home Depot, we don't have an in-home service for matching stain.

Frankly, there's too many variables, such as the type of wood coupled with application and how it will be top-coated.

Your safest bet is to do what you said yourself: remove a small piece of the back of the dresser. 

With that piece, come into your local Home Depot and match it up as close as possible (it's extremely rare that you'll get an exact match).

Luckily, we sell interior stains by Minwax in 1/2 pint containers, so you can try them in the correct lighting of your home. You'll most likely need to apply it more than 2 or 3 times to get the most accurate color.

If it is unfinished wood, you'll really need to use pre-stain conditioner (linked here and shown below) to ensure the wood is uniform in appearance. 

While this may be high quality cabinet grade furniture, applying a pre-stain conditioner guarantees a more even and professional look for when the stain is applied over it.

So, come down to your local Home Depot store and pick up those 1/2 pint cans of interior stains you think will look best alongside some staining pads.

This way, you can get the best stain match we sell. Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-07-08T16:10:58+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Home Depot has no provision for computer color matching transparent stains. However, on the shelf under each can of stain is an actual sample of the stain on both oak and pine wood. This should get you in "the ball park". Stains do not accept the tint colors from the paint tinting machines well. However, different stains can be blended to achieve the desired color.

Your best bet for getting an accurate color sample is to bring in a drawer and sand through the finish on the bottom edge of that drawer. This edge is never seen, but is the same wood as the face of the drawer, and therefore a good sample to test your new stain color. You must totally remove and finish from this edge. A single edge razor blade will rapidly scrape off the old finish.
Posted 2016-07-09T05:56:54+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+