Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Matching existing paint color

We recently had to repair a wall which had been painted with Behr paint about 1 year ago.  Unfortunately, we do not have any of the paint left and cannot remember the name of the color so that we can touch up the repair.  What's the best way to match the paint?  I've seen that some paint companies have smart phone apps where you can take a picture of the paint color for matching.  Anything like that available for Behr?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-11-17T19:59:08+0000  by esulat esulat

I matched paint colors several years ago and now want to get more of the exact same color. I've saved the paint can along with the label. I thought I'd just go to the store and they'd enter the numbers off the label and out would come my exact same paint. The guy at the store says they switched computer systems and they can't use the info on the old label to figure out the right color. That sounds crazy to me. Does anyone know how to translate the old color into what ever info they need today. The original info was:

CLRNT    B   C     I

OZ             0   0     0

384th        3   20  2

Posted 2012-10-27T23:33:02+0000  by dkooker

Regarding Home Depots Color Match. DO NOT RELY ON THE COLOR. I have used it twice, and it has failed me twice. They told me to bring in a sample of the drywall, so I brought in a 2inch by 2 inch piece of the wall with the color I was trying to match on it. It was wrong both times. One color was at least 2 shades too light and the other was two shades too dark. So there is not even any consistency in their match system. My advice is that if you choose to utilize this tool, do so with great suspicion. How the color looks in the lighting at Home Depot (when they put their paint on your drywall sample) is very hard to tell if they are a shade or two off. However when you put it on the wall at home and step back, you will see the difference. My advice is to get the samples, several of them (at least three), and put them on the wall at home, let them dry and then step back and judge. From my experience, none of them will be an exact match, but you might get close. You are probably better off choosing a new color and repainting the wall.

Posted 2012-10-16T15:51:29+0000  by Chris75

Hey there esulat,

Welcome to the community!~

Sorry to hear about the problems with the repair. But worry not, we've got just the solution for you-- two of them in fact!

Solution #1 - We can color match in-store!

If you've never taken advantage of our awesome color matching abilities, you've really been missing something great! We can color match colors for our customers off of just about anything. I've had pillows, blankets, carpets, you name it and someone has brought it in to have it color matched. Our super high-tech computer system does the work of reading your color and telling us what the best formula would be for you. What you'll need is a sample of the color that's about 1" x 1" in size. So if you have an area that you can remove from the damaged wall or perhaps some left on the can, that will do just fine = ) Partner up with your local store and we can match it up for you!

Solution #2 - Behr's ColorSmart App

I'm glad you asked about this one, I'm a big fan of apps and have found that I can rely on my phone for just about anything these days. And right you are that there is an app for just this purpose. It's called ColorSmart by Behr and my colleague PatInPaint actually did a write-up about this awhile back, ColorSmart by Behr App for iPhone.

I've used it before and had great results with it. I did a quick demo here at the office to show you just how easy it is to use!

BehrColorSmart01.png

It gives me the option to either use a stock photo or to take a new photo. So in this case we'll use a new photo and get as close to our subject as possible.

BehrColorSmart02.png

My apron will serve as our color matching example. I take a new picture of it and from here I want to try and match that nice "Home Depot Orange."

BehrColorSmart03.png

Here it gives me the ability to pinpoint exactly which color on the photo that I want to pick out. That way I can tell it that I want just the orange and not a part that has a shadow cast on it at all.

In just a few seconds, it pops up with my color, which is Orangeade!

With that knowledge in hand, I can head on up to my local store and let them know that I need some Orangeade.

BehrColorSmart04.png

And while I'm waiting for the color to be mixed, I can actually use my color match to preview how it will look in sample rooms.

What do you think of my very Home Depot-inspired bathroom? =D

It's a really handy app to have and should make short work of your matching problem! I would however recommend purchasing a sample size of the color first if you're using the app, as sometimes shadows in the picture can throw it off a bit. Once you're happy with how the match turned out, we can mix up as much Orangeade or which ever color it turns out to be that you need!

I hope this helps you out and let us know how it turns out! I'd love to see some pictures of the area and we can say "Hey, I painted this with an app!" = )

Posted 2011-11-17T22:45:57+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+