Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Matching other company's colors

Hello,

I am trying to match two Sherwin Williams colors.  I have the names and numbers of the colors, but unfortunately no sample or swatch.  Is there a way to match the color or do I have to go get color samples for spectrographic matching?

I'm just trying to get close.  The match doesn't need to be exact.

Thanks,

Tony Handy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-11-24T15:21:34+0000  by agbenoit agbenoit

To add to DW's advice, the THD paint system has over 40 different manufacturer's paint colors in its database. Some well known ones and some obscure ones and anything in between. Every once in awhile you might run into a very new color or very old color that hasn't found its way into the database. In that case, if you want the color, you'll need a sample about the size of a quarter to do a color match.

When presenting the competitor color to the paint desk, if they can't find it by name, have them try the number (with and without any hyphens). For example they might have to look for SW-6078 instead of SW6078 if Realist Beige isn't found (Sherwin-Williams color). Some companies such as Porter, you can count on only searching by the number.

With all that being said, if the color only has to be close, why not just pick a standard color from Behr or Glidden? When the manufacturers change their bases (which they do periodically to improve the product), they reformulate the standard colors to get them as close to the originals as possible. If you have a custom color, you're back to square one, as your formula will not have the benefit of being recalculated for the new base and you have to do another color match. While usually being quite close, color matching is never 100%.

Posted 2010-11-26T01:42:37+0000  by Paul

Thanks for joining our community, Tony!  It looks like you will be working on a painting project soon.  Paint is the fastest way to change the look of a room.

Our Paint Computer Program can take the name and number of your Sherwin Williams’ color and create a match for you in our paint brands, Behr, Glidden, and Martha Stewart.   You mentioned that the color needed to be “close.”  We can create a color sample - 8 ounces - so you can see how the color will look on a small scale before committing to larger quantities.

Behr Sample.jpg      Glidden.jpg        MSL2.jpg

Best wishes and happy painting!  Please send us before and after pictures so we can see how your project turned out.    

Posted 2010-11-24T15:59:16+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+