Sign In to join the community | Help
Customer Care

Military Discount

What is needed to take advantage of the military discount? Will a VA card work?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-06-28T14:13:00+0000  by intimid8r intimid8r

Hello intimid8r.  Welcome to the Community!

Yes, a Veterans Affairs card (Veterans Identification Card) can be used to obtain a military discount at our stores.  Please note that this is only available at stores and not online at homedepot.com.

You can also use a "Uniform Services ID card" or a "Common Access" card.

Let me add our current policy on military discounts:

Please note the difference between the Every Day Match Policy and the Holiday Match Policy.

Every Day Match Policy: 10% discount for all active-duty, reserve, retiree and disabled service members, and their dependents, from the six U.S. military branches: Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, National Guard (Air and Army), and Navy

Holiday Match Policy:  10% discount to ALL military personnel during many national holidays such as July 4th, Memorial Day, and Veteran’s Day as a tribute to their service.  In addition to the above personnel, it includes honorably discharged veterans.

§ Only available for In-Store purchases and does not apply to online transactions 

§ A valid Military ID must be presented at the time of purchase in-store 

§ The owner of the ID must be the purchaser present 

§ IDs cannot be sent electronically and will not be reviewed 

§ Not applicable on previous purchases and an adjustment cannot be made in store for an online purchase. 

§ The 10% discount is for in-stock and special-order purchases up to $5,000.

Restrictions:

Discount cannot be used on sales at Homedepot.com, on previous sales, on sales of services, including freight, delivery, or labor SKUs or on gift cards. The discounts cannot be combined with other promotions or on previous purchases. Holiday or Everyday Matching Military discounts are for personal use only and the transaction is not to be affiliated with a Job Name or Pro Key tag and is not to be paid for with a commercial credit card or GSA account. SKU Exclusions: Many of the products we sell have a unique pricing model, including commodity goods. As commodity prices fluctuate, we will at times exclude certain SKUs within specific departments from receiving the military discount.

Chris.

Posted 2019-06-28T14:37:52+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
My wife and I went shopping at the Home Depot in Onalaska, WI yesterday.  We have been Home Depot Shoppers for many many years and have used the military discount without issue4.  When we tried to use the discount yesterday we were told that we couldn't get it.  When we asked why the cashier said because when I ;use the button it didn't give show the discount so I assume that it cannot be given for the item.  We fully understand that if there is an item with that has already been marked down own dale of something how that rule applies.  There was nothing to show that this item was a special purchase or order in fact there were several others available.  the only thing that was shown was the price of the item which was 158.00 not including tax.  We understand if something has already been marked down or is closeout prices but this was nothing like this.  I am not sure if this is just a Wisconsin thing or not but I can attest that we were never denied the military discount at stores in Maryland and Virginia.  We had just moved from there to Wisconsin.  I honestly think that the individual on the cash register did not know how to input a discount manually and seemed put out that we questioned her about the discount.

Richard Hart e-mail address is rahart@hotmail.com
Posted 2019-06-28T16:18:02+0000  by Armydad2002
Hello Armydad2002.  Welcome to the Community!

It's quite possible that you came across a cashier that was not comfortable with markdowns and discounts.  As you can see above, the military discount policy will take time for a new employee to absorb and get used to. 

The next time you shop at your local Home Depot store, just bring in that receipt and ask to see an assistant manager.  The manager should be able to clear this up for you.

Chris.

Posted 2019-06-28T17:09:58+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Home Depot's military discount is very limited and seems subject to change.  When we've inquired why something wasn't discounted, we get a different answer every time.  We've gone to the customer service desk and they don't seem to know, or they do know and they don't want to discuss it.  We also found out when purchasing a refrigerator that the maximum discount is $50 meaning you tap out at $500 in "eligible" items - per the manager.  Needless to say, we went to Lowe's for our refrigerator and saved $250.

We were there last Sunday and purchased lumber, PVC piping and sprinkler accessories.  Spent $42 and received a $1.13 discount on two sprinkler items.  The rest of the sprinkler items were not included in the discount.  When I asked why, I was told that only some PVC and sprinkler items were covered.  We've been excluded on lumber, flooring, ready made cabinets.  It's all very random.

On other discussion in the HD Community, titled Official Military Discount Policy, it was noted by a gentleman named Mike that HD offers the discount on regular and sale priced merchandise and that Lowe's only offers it on regular priced merchandise.  He also stated he got this info from Chris at HD in Chicago.

This is not true.  EVERY single item we've ever purchased from Lowe's in the last 22 years has been discounted, including sale items.  We've even received a discount on clearance items.  Last year we bought a patio set that was originally $2000 - clearance out for $1400 and after my $140 discount we paid $1260.  We also redid two full kitchens.  We received a full 10% off on cabinets (special order), countertops and appliances.  Last year I got my KitchenAid double ovens on clearance and also received my 10%. 

Per Chris' post above 
§ Only available for In-Store purchases and does not apply to online transactions  - once you register your military ID with Lowe's you get your 10% in the store AND online.

§ A valid Military ID must be presented at the time of purchase in-store - once you register your military ID with Lowe's you get your 10% - all you have to do is give them your phone number

§ The 10% discount is for in-stock and special-order purchases up to $5,000. -  at Lowe's you get your 10% on all items and there is no limit.  I did two $25000+ kitchens and saved $2500+ on each.  

Posted 2019-07-03T16:38:05+0000  by Debi61

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+