Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

Mixing Metals?

I installed all new overhead lights and a drop down light over my dining room table from Home Depot in Brushed Nickel a couple to a few years ago. 

I just changed my home this year to have Behr Paint in Navajo White, Minwax American Walnut wood stain, and a saddle color hardwood floors.  My door knobs are aged/antique bronze.

Do my overhead lights in brushed nickel still make sense to my decor or would I need to change to a bronze color.

I am so involved with the remodel I can't seem to step back from it anymore to make these tiny decisions.

Thank you.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-01T04:15:53+0000  by katc katc

Hello Katc!

My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at Home Depot.

The choice to leave mixed metals is yours, decorating is really about personal preference. It sounds like you have a lot going on right now with the remodel, and this is the last thing you want to think about. I would say, if it isn’t bothering you, leave it. After the remodel is done, you can reevaluate the situation. :)

If you decide that you want to change to color of your fixture to something closer to the color of the door knob, spray painting it would be the easiest and fastest way. There are many colors available, and I’m sure there is one close to the color you are looking for.  

Best of luck with the remodel! If you have any questions about anything, please let us know!

Christine :)

Posted 2013-05-01T12:48:51+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

I agree with the previous post, personal preference should dictate all design decisions. Spray paint is a wonderful fix as well. If you like the mixed metal look, just make sure both metals are represented throughout the spaces. Mix in a few brushed nickel accessories, add a brushed nickel and glass side table, etc... and do the same with the rubbed bronze of the door handles. Mixed Metals are still very in- you could even try adding some copper and gold tones! The copper would really look great with the other finish selections you have made.

Posted 2013-05-03T03:02:14+0000  by AMPInteriors
Hi katc,

I'll take a different tact.

When design is applied, styles are moved toward a central theme ... unless your design style is eclectic.

Magazine covers and decor books are full of color palettes that contain only three or four colors ... once again, moving toward a central theme.

And the word design itself means to move toward or follow a plan.

So, I say again, unless your design is eclectic, you're more likely moving toward uniform appearance.

Ultimately mixed metals will not be part of an interior designer's view for your space.

Rather, an interior designer will select a primary metal color to use throughout ... or at a minimum room-to-room, but never mixed in the same room.

Pat InPaint
Posted 2015-11-12T23:53:31+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+