Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Mobile Home Roofing

I will be repairing/reroofing a friend's mobile home. I know that there are roof coatings and I was wondering if there is more entailed than powerwash, roof coating done.

Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-01T18:45:14+0000  by camisno camisno

Welcome to the community and Happy New Year. Starting out the New Year right with a DIY project is one way to check off a Resolution List. Helping out a friend gets you two checks. You are well on your way to making the rest of us look bad.

Seriously, you have the general concept down.  I can help tackle the smaller details with just a few steps.

1. First you will want to wash the surface of the existing roof down with a bleach/detergent mix. Usually the mixture can be a jug (or two) of bleach, a little bit of detergent (like a dish soap with degreaser in it) and water. Try mixing this in a five gallon bucket and applying it to the roof with a mop. Then rinse it off with a garden hose or pressure washer. As you are rinsing, inspect for any puddles of free standing water. This is an indication that either the roof in those areas are sagging, clogged gutters or that the home is not level. Correct your findings before going any further.
  2. Next you will want to take a wire brush to any areas that look like they are pealing or blistering. You might want to use heavy grade sand paper or a putty knife to get these areas as smooth as possible. If you discover any exposed rusty metal, then prime with a rust inhibitor primer.
  3. If you discover any open seams, curled up edges or nail/screw heads you will want to seal those with patching cement. It will make the difference in the long run.
  4. Now it is time to apply the roof coating. You should consider a lighter colored coating to help reflect back the sun’s rays and keep the home utility costs down. Use a paint roller designed for the product you are using. If you cut corners here you end up very frustrated and might lose valuable time. Brush around all vents and flashing. Start rolling on the coating at one end and continue with a “wet-on-wet” application.

I hope this helped a little bit to get you started. Please post any questions you might have as you venture on through your project - I would love to help you out.

Posted 2011-01-02T17:23:58+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

I am preparing to put snow seal on my mobile home roof, and I have been powerwashing it with a lot of time to get the job done. I bought some TSP mixed it up and unused a long handled broom to applied it, scrubbing seemed to help reduce the time to powerwash a lot. IS There something you would recommend to brush on the roof??????Before powerwashing????? if it is stuck on dirt from years of neglect.... Thanks Dave.

Posted 2011-07-12T00:43:57+0000  by David_C

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+