Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

Moisture and humidity resistant wood.

I want to put a drop level in my bathroom ceiling to put led down lights in. Need to find the right wood panel to use . 1/2", that can withstand humidity and moisture. Thank you .
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-06-09T23:16:26+0000  by ob1homie ob1homie

If you're having problems with moisture in your bathroom, that should be addressed as part of your project.  Think about installing a properly sized exhaust fan if you don't have one.  It's even better if you can also install a timer that allows the fan to run for 15-20 minutes after using the bathroom.

Most bathroom ceiling are ordinary drywall which is hardly the most moisture resistant product and with paint stands up just fine.  I really don't think you need anything special.  If you're planning on painting the ceiling, MDO (medium density overlay) plywood would be a great choice.  It's plywood constructed with waterproof glue and has a special paper coating that takes paint very well.  It's most common use is outdoor signs.  If you want something to stain, then use whatever plywood matches the room or you find appealing.  You may have to look for a speciality supplier but plywood is available in a large number of wood species beyond the commonly available, rotatory cut oak.  Stain it to your liking and use at least two coats of polyurethane or varnish.
Posted 2015-06-10T09:49:04+0000  by Adam444
Hi ob1homie,

Sanded Project Panels are rated interior/exterior and are well prepared for either stain or paint.

The rough dimensions match your project specifications: 1/2-inch by 4 x 8 feet.

Cost-efficient, very durable, and pre-sanded to a smooth finish to save prep time.

Apply stain directly to the smooth side or prime before painting.

If you prefer linear grained wood for a more finished appearance, look for similar prepared panels in oak or birch.

BEST ADVICE:
Once again, Adam gets it right by recommending you add an exhaust fan to your project.

Removing moisture is the best way to keep your bath remodel looking great!
Posted 2015-07-09T21:18:42+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+